A glitch on LSP?

Tobiasz Karoń
I've found this track, while looking at most popular (downloads/age) projects in LSP:

https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=show&file=1347

It's weird. This track has over 5000 downlaods with only 8 comments and 6 ratings giving an avarage of 2/5.

Could you take a look at this?

- unfa

Re: A glitch on LSP?

Tres Finocchiaro
It is likely climbing in downloads due to its own download popularity.  People sort by downloads assuming the best will be at the top and click download.

We don't really have any spam countermeasures to prevent auto-downloaders either.  If you want the download count lowered, I'll likely put it at 1,352 to match his other track, but the values don't really carry any weight due to the lack of controls.

-Tres

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Tobiasz Karoń <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've found this track, while looking at most popular (downloads/age) projects in LSP:

https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=show&file=1347

It's weird. This track has over 5000 downlaods with only 8 comments and 6 ratings giving an avarage of 2/5.

Could you take a look at this?

- unfa

Re: A glitch on LSP?

Amadeus Folego
This is a really interesting phenomenon.

People already assume that the most popular (in terms of downloads)
tracks are some of the best. That's why there usually is some kind of
automated or manual curation on this kind of platform.

I can say that the first thing that I did when I knew about LSP was to
download the most downloaded tracks, and I was pretty disappointed by
the result.

This is an issue if you think about it: some of the best tracks I found
on LSP are mostly 2 weeks old. Then these tracks are buried beneath the
ever increasing rate of tracks submits, never gaining traction to be the
next "most rated/downloaded track".

Since there are something like 4-10 (my feeling, I check LSP 3-5 times a
week) new tracks added every day we could have a webpage that implements a
curation mechanism to present the "best" tracks for the last 30 days.

This algorythm can be very simple: download quantity, rating, etc. Just
having the period filter would help a lot.

Re: A glitch on LSP?

Tres Finocchiaro
This algorythm can be very simple: download quantity, rating, etc. Just
having the period filter would help a lot.

Well, it sort of does, Toby wrote it as a "downloads_per_day" calculation, so the popularity does eventually drop off.  This one just has artificially high results.

If someone wants to write the code to make this value editable by administrators to bandaid this until a proper rewrite is done, please do.

The code is very plainly just inserts and updates based on classic GET/POST values.  It looks a bit modern due to being wrapped in a modern theme, but it is about 95% original as it was from the old site, which is mostly just classic database calls and echo statements.

-Tres

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Amadeus Folego <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've reset that specific file to 200 downloads to help this specific issue.  If you find others that are problematic like this, please open a bug report on lmms.io tracker and we'll fix them.

We shouldn't abuse this though as it can quickly get unfair to artists. :+1:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Stian Jørgensrud
As already told, this is not wrong but because it is an old song and people download the songs on the most downloaded list.

Why did you set the downloads to 200 Tres? I haven't heard the song, is it really that bad?

Re: A glitch on LSP?

Amadeus Folego
On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 07:35:57PM +0100, Tobiasz Karoń wrote:
> I didn't even listen to the track :D

Plot Twist: The track is actually the best thing anybody ever heard