Quantcast

A suggestion for the demo tune

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

A suggestion for the demo tune

Louigi Verona
Hello fellas!

About 3 years ago I've written several tunes with LMMS that over the years have gotten very favorable reviews from people. And I thought that maybe these tunes can be candidates for including them in LMMS demo set.

Here are the projects with samples in question:
http://www.louigiverona.ru/files/samples/

Here are the YouTube videos, so that you can get a quick listen.

Tribute to Scooter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGGKR5spW0

Tell me what you think!

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Tres Finocchiaro
This is a very generous offer and this music is great!  You are a very talented musician!

To properly distribute either track "TributeToScooter" or "TheTribe" with the next version of our LMMS software would require quite a few considerations... 

1.  We would ask that the MMPZ is tested with version 1.0.0
2.  The soundfonts are too big to be bunded (6MB and 33MB, respectively) so you would have to find suitable instruments to use instead.
3.  All work, including samples would have to be released GPL, which if you downloaded these would require permission from the author.

What many musicians do is put them on our LMMS Sharing Platform and provide sample links in the description, which could be better of a process (i.e. bundled project+samples support) but it seems to do the trick for now.

Please let us know your thoughts on the above bullet points. :)

On an semi-related note, we just had a top songs competition for LMMS.  Would you be interested in entering the competition for Volume 2 when that comes out?  We will post it to this list as well as our Facebook page! :)




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

diiz
In reply to this post by Louigi Verona
On 03/30/2014 10:59 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hello fellas!
>
> About 3 years ago I've written several tunes with LMMS that over the
> years have gotten very favorable reviews from people. And I thought
> that maybe these tunes can be candidates for including them in LMMS
> demo set.

Well, I'm not really sure if we want to include that many new samples
into LMMS, particularly in WAV format.

Could you look first if you can replace any of the samples with samples
that are already included in LMMS?

Then the remaining samples would need to be converted to .ogg or .flac
for space conservation.

Also, all material (the song itself + all the samples) needs to be
licensed under a free license, which allows anyone to use, modify,
redistribute and make derivative works out of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Louigi Verona
Hey guys!

I release all my music under CC0, so no problem there. I can convert soundfonts to flacs, sure. I will try to do that and see what the result will be.

Will keep you posted on that.

"On an semi-related note, we just had a top songs competition for LMMS.  Would you be interested in entering the competition for Volume 2 when that comes out?"

Sure, especially if these old congs can be used - rather busy these days, not sure I am up to making a new tune right now.

Cheers, Louigi.





On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Vesa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/30/2014 10:59 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hello fellas!
>
> About 3 years ago I've written several tunes with LMMS that over the
> years have gotten very favorable reviews from people. And I thought
> that maybe these tunes can be candidates for including them in LMMS
> demo set.

Well, I'm not really sure if we want to include that many new samples
into LMMS, particularly in WAV format.

Could you look first if you can replace any of the samples with samples
that are already included in LMMS?

Then the remaining samples would need to be converted to .ogg or .flac
for space conservation.

Also, all material (the song itself + all the samples) needs to be
licensed under a free license, which allows anyone to use, modify,
redistribute and make derivative works out of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel



--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Stian Jørgensrud
In reply to this post by Louigi Verona
And when we already are talking about it :)

We have a lot of demo songs now, and I know that some people, in addition to myself, thinks there are functions of LMMS that isn't showcased in these songs. Many of the demo songs we have now is amazing, but many of them have been made on old LMMS versions.

So I ask If you, some time in the feature, will be in the mood for a contest where only native LMMS is used and the winners (most voted on) will get their songs in the demo folder (or other folder)! I am not asking to remove all of the demo songs, or any, just adding or replacing about 10 songs.

What are your points of view?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Tres Finocchiaro
 just adding or replacing about 10 songs.  What are your points of view?

In my opinion, it would be certainly nice for someone to take charge of this in addition to managing the presets, including adding new ones from LSP as they are deemed good enough.  This lends to the quality of the overall application and hopefully people can set feelings aside if a particular preset or project is retired (AFAIK, retiring or renaming a particular presets won't break project compatibility at all).

I know Avelocity has stepped up to the judging panel for the songs competition, which I have grown very fond of (I have a hard time believe some of those tracks were made with LMMS!) but the talent for judging can continue to be put to good use with the development of the project too.

-Tres

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Jonathan Aquilina
Speaking of presets, Could we offer presets as part of lmms? Reason being is we have a folder called templates which could be renamed template/presets and we put them in there. I think having presets would really help with creativity as well as share that creativity with the community.


On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
 just adding or replacing about 10 songs.  What are your points of view?

In my opinion, it would be certainly nice for someone to take charge of this in addition to managing the presets, including adding new ones from LSP as they are deemed good enough.  This lends to the quality of the overall application and hopefully people can set feelings aside if a particular preset or project is retired (AFAIK, retiring or renaming a particular presets won't break project compatibility at all).

I know Avelocity has stepped up to the judging panel for the songs competition, which I have grown very fond of (I have a hard time believe some of those tracks were made with LMMS!) but the talent for judging can continue to be put to good use with the development of the project too.

-Tres

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel




--
Jonathan Aquilina

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

diiz
On 04/01/2014 01:30 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Speaking of presets, Could we offer presets as part of lmms? Reason
> being is we have a folder called templates which could be renamed
> template/presets and we put them in there. I think having presets
> would really help with creativity as well as share that creativity
> with the community.

We already do. Lots of them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Jonathan Aquilina
How come the presets dont get bundled with lmms?


On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Vesa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/01/2014 01:30 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Speaking of presets, Could we offer presets as part of lmms? Reason
> being is we have a folder called templates which could be renamed
> template/presets and we put them in there. I think having presets
> would really help with creativity as well as share that creativity
> with the community.

We already do. Lots of them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel



--
Jonathan Aquilina

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Tres Finocchiaro
Click the star.  Jonathan, are we talking about the same thing?

Inline image 1





On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
How come the presets dont get bundled with lmms?


On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Vesa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/01/2014 01:30 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Speaking of presets, Could we offer presets as part of lmms? Reason
> being is we have a folder called templates which could be renamed
> template/presets and we put them in there. I think having presets
> would really help with creativity as well as share that creativity
> with the community.

We already do. Lots of them...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel



--
Jonathan Aquilina

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

diiz
In reply to this post by Jonathan Aquilina
On 04/01/2014 06:36 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> How come the presets dont get bundled with lmms?

They do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Stian Jørgensrud
In reply to this post by Tres Finocchiaro
I am really into democracy right now, so the way I think it should be done with the demo songs is a combination of voting and judges. Judges pick out some songs (to make sure the songs are good and shows a variety of LMMS' functions) and then the community vote on those they think should be included.

With presets I am not sure we want democracy (can't believe I just wrote that), cause what everyone likes is probably some few specific sounds, and presets should be vastly different.

Tres Finocchiaro wrote
>  just adding or replacing about 10 songs.  What are your points of view?

In my opinion, it would be certainly nice for someone to take charge of
this in addition to managing the presets, including adding new ones from
LSP as they are deemed good enough.  This lends to the quality of the
overall application and hopefully people can set feelings aside if a
particular preset or project is retired (AFAIK, retiring or renaming a
particular presets won't break project compatibility at all).

I know Avelocity has stepped up to the judging panel for the songs
competition, which I have grown very fond of (I have a hard time believe
some of those tracks were made with LMMS!) but the talent for judging can
continue to be put to good use with the development of the project too.

-Tres
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Jonathan Aquilina
Presets are really what ever the person comes up with, and if they want to make them available to the community I would say kudos to them and thanks for the contribution.


On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am really into democracy right now, so the way I think it should be done
with the demo songs is a combination of voting and judges. Judges pick out
some songs (to make sure the songs are good and shows a variety of LMMS'
functions) and then the community vote on those they think should be
included.

With presets I am not sure we want democracy (can't believe I just wrote
that), cause what everyone likes is probably some few specific sounds, and
presets should be vastly different.


Tres Finocchiaro wrote
>>  just adding or replacing about 10 songs.  What are your points of view?
>
> In my opinion, it would be certainly nice for someone to take charge of
> this in addition to managing the presets, including adding new ones from
> LSP as they are deemed good enough.  This lends to the quality of the
> overall application and hopefully people can set feelings aside if a
> particular preset or project is retired (AFAIK, retiring or renaming a
> particular presets won't break project compatibility at all).
>
> I know Avelocity has stepped up to the judging panel for the songs
> competition, which I have grown very fond of (I have a hard time believe
> some of those tracks were made with LMMS!) but the talent for judging can
> continue to be put to good use with the development of the project too.
>
> -Tres





--
View this message in context: http://linux-multimedia-studio-lmms.996328.n3.nabble.com/A-suggestion-for-the-demo-tune-tp7565p7643.html
Sent from the lmms-devel mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel



--
Jonathan Aquilina

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: A suggestion for the demo tune

Stian Jørgensrud
What we were talking about was how to update the presets that is included with LMMS.

Jonathan Aquilina wrote
Presets are really what ever the person comes up with, and if they want to
make them available to the community I would say kudos to them and thanks
for the contribution.
Loading...