Bugs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bugs

Stephane Thomas-3
Hi,

I started to play with lmms so i saved my project in a "test1.xml".

If i quit LMMS then starting it again and use the open file dialog to
load test1.xml LMMS segfault.

If i start LMMS with test1.xml as a command line argument it works...

Maybe this bug is a QT problem because another QT app (hydrogen) used to
have the same bug.

Another problem i have : If i use the "save preset" button in the
oscillator or in the beat-bassline editor, the preset doesn't appear in
the "MyPresets" menu. The file exists in ~/lmms/presets/TripleOscillator
but the preset is not in the menu.

--
Stephane Thomas <[hidden email]>



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugs

danny mcrae
--- Stephane Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If i quit LMMS then starting it again and use the
> open file dialog to load test1.xml LMMS segfault.

This one seems to be a race condition between when a
beat & bass track gets created and when QT triggers an
event indicating that the track should be painted to
the screen.  If a repaint event gets generated before
the b&b track is fully created, when the part of the
code that handles deciding what color the labels in
the b&b track should be tries to get some information
from the b&b object, the program barfs because there
is no b&b track from which to get the information.

The offending call is to getTrackSettingsWidget() made
from line 112 in src/core/name_label.cpp.

An ugly, quick and dirty hack that can be made to
eliminate this problem is to comment out lines 112
through 117 in src/core/name_label.cpp.  This
introduces another bug which is that labels in a beat
& bass track that should have been drawn white will
show up as green, but this is probably the lesser of
two evils until a real solution to the problem can be
delivered.

> If i start LMMS with test1.xml as a command line
> argument it works...

Same here.  Also, I will say that it seems odd that I
can't get it to happen with any of the example
projects that come with the distribution.  Hmm...

> (hydrogen) used to have the same bug.

I remember that too, though I can't say if it was the
same thing.

> If i use the "save preset" button in the
> oscillator or in the beat-bassline editor, the
> preset doesn't appear in the "MyPresets" menu.

The file extension filter for locating presets is
"*.cs.xml" but save-presets defaults to a file
extension of ".xml", so when the sidebar searches for
presets, it doesn't find the ones you saved because
they are missing the ".cs" part of the extension.  The
work-around is to type in the full file name when
saving, i.e. "preset_example.cs.xml" instead of just
typing in "preset_example".

Renaming a previously saved file in the preset folder
from "preset_example.xml" to "preset_example.cs.xml"
will also make it visible to lmms.

Danny


       
               
______________________________________________________
Yahoo! for Good
Watch the Hurricane Katrina Shelter From The Storm concert
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/shelter 



-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugs

Tobias Doerffel-2
Am Sonntag, 11. September 2005 21:09 schrieb danny mcrae:

> --- Stephane Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If i quit LMMS then starting it again and use the
> > open file dialog to load test1.xml LMMS segfault.
>
> This one seems to be a race condition between when a
> beat & bass track gets created and when QT triggers an
> event indicating that the track should be painted to
> the screen.  If a repaint event gets generated before
> the b&b track is fully created, when the part of the
> code that handles deciding what color the labels in
> the b&b track should be tries to get some information
> from the b&b object, the program barfs because there
> is no b&b track from which to get the information.
>
> The offending call is to getTrackSettingsWidget() made
> from line 112 in src/core/name_label.cpp.
>
> An ugly, quick and dirty hack that can be made to
> eliminate this problem is to comment out lines 112
> through 117 in src/core/name_label.cpp.  This
> introduces another bug which is that labels in a beat
> & bass track that should have been drawn white will
> show up as green, but this is probably the lesser of
> two evils until a real solution to the problem can be
> delivered.
hey, you found what I needed at least an hour for a few weeks ago... ;-) It's
now fixed without any bad hacks and works quite well.

> > If i start LMMS with test1.xml as a command line
> > argument it works...
>
> Same here.  Also, I will say that it seems odd that I
> can't get it to happen with any of the example
> projects that come with the distribution.  Hmm...
the thing is, that QFileDialog makes a difference between opening files by
double-clicking it and by selecting them and click on "open". so you either
have to use selectedFile() or selectedFiles() etc. I fixed it and it works
quite well with with either methods.

> > (hydrogen) used to have the same bug.
>
> I remember that too, though I can't say if it was the
> same thing.
now I know what to do and could submit a patch to the hydrogen-guys ;-)

> > If i use the "save preset" button in the
> > oscillator or in the beat-bassline editor, the
> > preset doesn't appear in the "MyPresets" menu.
>
> The file extension filter for locating presets is
> "*.cs.xml" but save-presets defaults to a file
> extension of ".xml", so when the sidebar searches for
> presets, it doesn't find the ones you saved because
> they are missing the ".cs" part of the extension.  The
> work-around is to type in the full file name when
> saving, i.e. "preset_example.cs.xml" instead of just
> typing in "preset_example".
oh, didn't know that this sometimes is a problem... I'll modify the feature,
auto-adding the extension, so that it adds ".cs.xml" for preset-files (CS =
channel-state) instead of only ".xml".

toby

attachment0 (316 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bugs

danny mcrae
--- Tobias Doerffel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hey, you found what I needed at least an hour for a
> few weeks ago... ;-) It's  now fixed without any
> bad hacks and works quite well.

I apologize for the tardiness of my report.  Of
course, I didn't actually find out about the project
until last week, but making excuses like that is so
undignified :)

Danny



__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 


-------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is Sponsored by the Better Software Conference & EXPO
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement * http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
_______________________________________________
LMMS-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel