Computer Music magazine question

Uroš Maravić
Hi guys, the LMMS Facebook page just received an interesting message:
"Hi,

Hope you're well.

I'm getting in touch because I'm hoping that you'd be willing to contribute to Computer Music magazine's latest Burning Question feature. This is a regular feature in which we ask a selection of developers the same question and print their responses. This month's question is:

Why should I consider using a Linux-based system for music making?

It'd be great to get your thoughts on this. All I need is 90 words. If you are able to contribute, I'd be grateful if you could let me know as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Ben"

I'd say that Linux is a good solution for music production because it utilities resources well, has no bloatware, its free so you can spend the money you would give for a OS on things like better equipment. Also, one of the main advantages of linux is JACK and I don't think there is a windows equivalent of it. Also the great community of users and developers of audio apps for linux is a great point for using linux.

What are your thoughts about this question?

-Uroš|Umcaruje

Best regards
Uroš

Re: Computer Music magazine question

Tres Finocchiaro
My thoughts:

J.S. Bach could rebuild the world's most intrinsic organs of his time. He is regarded as a true master in the art of music and his instrument knowledge aids to this claim.  Linux encourages and the building and dissecting of tools and instruments at a level that most commercial platform cannot offer.

Music composition on Linux not only transcends on an instrumental level, but it also is less susceptible to the financial burdens imposed by a commercial platform.

It's fundamental; The platform is free.  The software is free.  Collaboration and creativity is in our culture.  Let's make music. :)

-Tres

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM, I'm Umcaruje <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Spekular R

Well you guys have covered pretty much everything, and elegantly too, but there's another angle that I really appreciate.

Because you can. There have always been struggling artists, and they've created some of the greatest art we know. Art is considered noble and wonderful, and it is, but it's also inaccessible. It's been expensive and unprofitable, but it shouldn't have to be. Being able to afford a computer and other hardware is a luxury, and you shouldn't have to buy an OS and software on top of that. With Linux and with open source, you don't have to. With a free OS and free software, creating becomes a much more accessible and inclusive activity. Because everyone should be able to make music.

Yeah, that was a bit pretentious, and maybe not all that well written (also above 90 words, oops). The sentiment is real though, I think everyone should be able to create.

Re: Computer Music magazine question

Amadeus Folego
It would be nice if we could emphasize the political aspect of it also being
free in the sense of freedom, where everyone can collaborate. But I am
not a writer as good as you guys :-).

Thanks for the delightful messages.

Re: Computer Music magazine question

Andrei Smirnov-2
Here is my contribution to the magazine:

Linux is a great environment for experimenting and doing innovative things with algorithmic music composition. The system is very customizable, free of viruses spyware, annoying commerical stuff, and other junk, and reliable too. For a software developer Linux offers a superior environment with a lot of choices and freedom from commercial hookups and licenses.

Open source software, such as LMMS enables one to implement his wildest imagination.
As an example, in my free time I modified LMMS to implement a method of dynamic transposition to play Pythagorean-type scales (see more on tectral.com).

Regards,

Andrei

[...]

Andrei V. Smirnov, PhD.
(703) 429 6267 (work)

Re: Computer Music magazine question

diiz
On 01/09/2015 07:18 PM, I'm Umcaruje wrote:
Why should I consider using a Linux-based system for music making?

That really depends on your particular use case.

From a technical perspective, there really isn't any advantage in using Linux for the average user. Most people probably benefit more from the wealth of commercially produced pro-quality plugins, software etc. available on other platforms. However, if you want to tinker, go a bit deeper than the out-of-the-box solutions allow, build low-latency modular systems or experiment with novel ways of processing sound... then Linux is the choice for you.

If we look at more than just audio work, there are other advantages. If security and privacy are things that are important to you, Linux is always a better choice than proprietary operating systems (Windows/OSX).