Quantcast

Conducting a survey for LMMS

Stian Jørgensrud
I thinking about holding a survey to get data about the LMMS community. Originally it was just to see how we perform on social media, but when we conducting a survey, why not ask questions about the program too?

So, devs, what do you want to know about the users and how they use LMMS?

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Dave French
some suggestions

If pre made, link to machine in shop/manufactures website
cpu type/ cores / speed
Memory
OS
32/64 bit
Soundcard
Audio backend
speakers

If plugins are used what type VST, LADSPA
Are native instruments and effects used.
Are fx channels used on the mixer.

How would you describe the usability of lmms?
How would you describe the performance of lmms?
How would you describe the stability of lmms?
How would you describe the current plugin support?

How would you describe your use of LMMS casual/ enthusiast/ professional?

Do you use lmms for the following tasks
1. initial ideas, noodling
2. arrangement
3. mixing
4 rendering stems for use else where
5 mastering

What is the purpose of your lmms productions
1 just for myself
2 social media
3 release on professional music store
4 film music
5 Computer game music
6 sound effect creation

Do you get your lmms productions professional mastered?

On 1 February 2015 at 14:58, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ive only just seen this, I was suggesting simular in issue#1662 Pops and clicks. but here is a far better place for this discussion.  I will come up with some suggestions for questions :)

On 1 February 2015 at 13:49, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thinking about holding a survey to get data about the LMMS community.
Originally it was just to see how we perform on social media, but when we
conducting a survey, why not ask questions about the program too?

So, devs, what do you want to know about the users and how they use LMMS?

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Dave French
A survey on the program is a bit suggestive that we may shift our resources based on popularity of a particular feature.

Maybe we should  consider it, at least knowing what our users want has got to be a good thing.

Furthermore, long surveys are tremendously annoying to me.

Agreed.  Im am more inclined to put detail in a survey on a bug report than when clicking a shiny "Download Now" button.

On 1 February 2015 at 15:41, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Do you really want a link to the shop of 100 PC's, or more? Or did you want to know if the computer was pre made or not?

I think we can take it for granted that native effects and instruments is used, but if you want we can ask to what extent a LMMS song consists of external stuff?

> 6. sound effect creation
Then the purpose would be 1, 4 or 5? That is how I currently added it.

Are you sure noodling (fishing) is the word you are looking for :p I was thinking doodling, but that does perhaps explicitly mean drawing.

> Do you get your lmms productions professional mastered?
I guess this is not considered a very important question. I left it out, the survey is pretty long already!

*** Unfinished form - Do not answer, answers will be deleted anyway ***
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N9gdp2J74ep_VcOiQMcWicHRpr0lcDhEzY45NtwxBmc/viewform?usp=send_form
So this is how it currently looks, you can click through and see. If you follow LMMS on social media and have experienced problems with LMMS there are two extra pages to answer. Are there any questions that are unnecessary or questions still needed to be asked?

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Dave French
Them questions of mine were only suggestions, im cool with deciding not to use some of them,

Do you really want a link to the shop of 100 PC's, or more? Or did you want
to know if the computer was pre made or not?

I was not being clear, I was thinking a link to the actual pc bought, that normaly has specs listed the user may be unaware of. This is prob over kill for a survey.

> 6. sound effect creation Then the purpose would be 1, 4 or 5? That is how I currently added it.

Less options to keep it simpler is probably best

Are you sure noodling (fishing) is the word you are looking for :p I was
thinking doodling, but that does perhaps explicitly mean drawing.

i'm unsure what should be the correct wording here

On 1 February 2015 at 22:08, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you really want a link to the shop of 100 PC's, or more? Or did you want
to know if the computer was pre made or not?

I think we can take it for granted that native effects and instruments is
used, but if you want we can ask to what extent a LMMS song consists of
external stuff?

> 6. sound effect creation
Then the purpose would be 1, 4 or 5? That is how I currently added it.

Are you sure noodling (fishing) is the word you are looking for :p I was
thinking doodling, but that does perhaps explicitly mean drawing.

> Do you get your lmms productions professional mastered?
I guess this is not considered a very important question. I left it out, the
survey is pretty long already!

*** Unfinished form - Do not answer, answers will be deleted anyway ***
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N9gdp2J74ep_VcOiQMcWicHRpr0lcDhEzY45NtwxBmc/viewform?usp=send_form
So this is how it currently looks, you can click through and see. If you
follow LMMS on social media and have experienced problems with LMMS there
are two extra pages to answer. Are there any questions that are unnecessary
or questions still needed to be asked?

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Stian Jørgensrud
Dave French wrote
Them questions of mine were only suggestions, I'm cool with deciding not to
use some of them,
Neat! I'll get someone to spell check this form, and then its going live. Just tell me if you want edit access to the spreadsheet collecting the answers or the form itself

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Dave French
I've only just noticed the link to the survey, nicely done :)

On 2 February 2015 at 10:46, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dave French wrote
> Them questions of mine were only suggestions, I'm cool with deciding not
> use some of them,

Neat! I'll get someone to spell check this form, and then its going live.
Just tell me if you want edit access to the spreadsheet collecting the
answers or the form itself

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

musikbear
Dave French wrote
I've only just noticed the link to the survey, nicely done :)
whut - has you gone live with this already? (see no link though) i hope not..
One thing that i would love to hear from users would be
"What in current 1.1 do you have most aggrevation/ trouble/ grief/ from?"

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Stian Jørgensrud
musikbear wrote
"What in current 1.1 do you have most aggrevation/ trouble/ grief/ from?"
They tell us that everywhere... forum, github, facebook, google plus. I think this survey is more general anyway, not necessarily only for LMMS 1.1. The link was so you could view how it looks like.

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Stian Jørgensrud
Aaand, of course this survey is just for the fun of it! No obligations are being made. Now I'll go ice skating, yay!

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

musikbear
good job  -Do say when you have 'results'
-btw, How many has participated uptill now?

Re: Conducting a survey for LMMS

Uroš Maravić
-btw, How many has participated uptill now?

There are 92 responses so far, I'll see to make some graphs in the next few days.

-Uroš|Umcaruje

On 6 February 2015 at 13:31, musikbear <[hidden email]> wrote:
good job  -Do say when you have 'results'
-btw, How many has participated uptill now?

Best regards
Uroš