Dev video tutorials?

Tres Finocchiaro
For those who haven't seen them yet, these are two video tutorials by curlymorphic that walk through using QtCreator to write code for LMMS.

QtCreator Initial loading

Personally, I use gedit/vi for most of my patches, but they have their limitations.  Some general questions...
  • What IDE/editor do you use for LMMS?
  • Do you have a tutorial for setting up LMMS with it?
  • What other editors have you used in the past?
  • Should we distribute boilerplate project files for a particular IDE with LMMS to make developer engagement easier?
Thanks!

Re: Dev video tutorials?

Cyr Bol
Hello Tres,

Thanks for the info, but I'm personaly also a vim guy.

OTH, I've been searching the lmms-devel mail archive for a few hours for documentation about LMSS' architecture and core concepts (like models, controllers, tracks, engine,...), whithout success. Do you have some pointers?

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Cyr Bol <[hidden email]> wrote:
 LMSS' architecture and core concepts (like models, controllers, tracks, engine,...), whithout success. Do you have some pointers?

Besides asking on the #lmms IRC channel (mileage will vary), our best education currently is reading up on struggles other devs have run into along the way.

In short, we need a better primer for developers and we desperately need help in this area.  As you review this below list and find stuff valuable, if you can digest and send back the pieces that help, we'd happily add them to a wiki (or link us a cheat sheet to clone, or request access to our wiki).

Any PRs, issues or forks from Vesa (@diizy) are good reads.

A (no longer maintained, but still quite relevant) Futuremap written by Vesa about 2 years ago:

Most plugins are written by cloning other plugins. Here's a good primer on that topic...

In regards to #562, here's some very recent work @grejppi is doing on that same topic

Possible future OSC messaging to future separate GUI and core:

Attempt to remove static calls to Engine:

Signals/slots discussion (really an argument, but brings up some valid points about the state of our codebase):

On a side-note, no only do we lack a good published API, but the existing API is quite unstable due to the seemingly never-ending task of consolidation and cleanup.

Some additional recent additions that help illustrate the plugin system:

 - Adding a new audio backend

 - A native EQ plugin written about a year ago:

 - The NES instrument plugin:

 - Carla plugin:

Re: Dev video tutorials?

Cyr Bol
Thanks Tres,

I'll have a look at them (I already noticed @diizy was an interesting source of info).

In the mean time, I already updated the wiki, didn't you noticed? https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/LMMS-Architecture

I will certainly add things there if you don't mind (and I find some).

Eventually, I'm on the IRC channel almost everyday (CEST), but never seem to find you there, nor much developers; It seems mostly used by musicians/users rather than developers.

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Cyr Bol <[hidden email]> wrote:
 LMSS' architecture and core concepts (like models, controllers, tracks, engine,...), whithout success. Do you have some pointers?

Besides asking on the #lmms IRC channel (mileage will vary), our best education currently is reading up on struggles other devs have run into along the way.

In short, we need a better primer for developers and we desperately need help in this area.  As you review this below list and find stuff valuable, if you can digest and send back the pieces that help, we'd happily add them to a wiki (or link us a cheat sheet to clone, or request access to our wiki).

Any PRs, issues or forks from Vesa (@diizy) are good reads.

A (no longer maintained, but still quite relevant) Futuremap written by Vesa about 2 years ago:

Most plugins are written by cloning other plugins. Here's a good primer on that topic...

In regards to #562, here's some very recent work @grejppi is doing on that same topic

Possible future OSC messaging to future separate GUI and core:

Attempt to remove static calls to Engine:

Signals/slots discussion (really an argument, but brings up some valid points about the state of our codebase):

On a side-note, no only do we lack a good published API, but the existing API is quite unstable due to the seemingly never-ending task of consolidation and cleanup.

Some additional recent additions that help illustrate the plugin system:

 - Adding a new audio backend

 - A native EQ plugin written about a year ago:

 - The NES instrument plugin:

 - Carla plugin:

Re: Dev video tutorials?

Tres Finocchiaro
> I already updated the wiki, didn't you noticed?

Great.  Please continue this and feel free to nudge people if you want feedback on any wiki changes.  FYI, we don't get notified when new articles are created, so unless it's mentioned in an issue, the devs will miss wiki changes until they just-so-happen to check. :)

but never seem to find you there, nor much developers; It seems mostly used by musicians/users rather than developers.

Quite a few developers do hang out there, but you're right, the discussion seem to rarely stick on dev topics.

I hung out there daily for about 2 months and found every time the dev topics started, the channel became a firing squad, and I've no patience for that.

On that topic, I'm not a C++ developer.  A few of our admins fall into this category (we help a lot and we help where we can, but we aren't writing core or dsp code any time soon), so this makes for a tough low-level architecture conversation for some of us that help run things.  Note, we didn't ask to run things, we just do. We're the ones that help administer, organize, market, test stuff, but our skill-sets in regards to C++ architecture and coding is quite limited so sometimes we're the target of unsolicited complaints.

That said, the devs active on the tracker tend to be very responsive via all channels (IRC, email, etc), so please feel free to @mention and reach out to devs for help.

Personally, I don't hang out on IRC for the same reasons you've observed. Paradoxical? :)

-Tres