Dynamic transposition?

Phil (list)
I was wondering if there's an easier way to dynamically shift the
playback of one or more tracks up/down one or more octaves.  I know
about master pitch which let's me go +/- 12 semitones and I'm also
familiar with the ability to ctl-arrow in the piano roll to shift
up/down an octave at a time... I'm looking for something a bit
different.  Ideally I'd like an effects stack for notes (i.e.
dynamically modify the notes of one or more tracks after I'm done
editing them but before they are rendered as waveforms: shift notes
up/down, change duration, change volume, etc.), but right now I'd
settle for a quick way to shift multiple tracks by a given # of
octaves.  Is there a way to do this currently that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Dynamic transposition?

Tres Finocchiaro
A pitch automation that is on a bunch of tracks would probably get you closest to what you are describing.  It's non-ideal to implement though, as pitch isn't everything you're describing and certainly won't change volume or duration.  Depending on the instrument, you could use some tricks to chomp off the notes using a side-chained gain, filter or compressor, but depending on your soundscape, this may not work.

You may also want to ask on our forums... https://lmms.io/forum.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was wondering if there's an easier way to dynamically shift the
playback of one or more tracks up/down one or more octaves.  I know
about master pitch which let's me go +/- 12 semitones and I'm also
familiar with the ability to ctl-arrow in the piano roll to shift
up/down an octave at a time... I'm looking for something a bit
different.  Ideally I'd like an effects stack for notes (i.e.
dynamically modify the notes of one or more tracks after I'm done
editing them but before they are rendered as waveforms: shift notes
up/down, change duration, change volume, etc.), but right now I'd
settle for a quick way to shift multiple tracks by a given # of
octaves.  Is there a way to do this currently that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Dynamic transposition?

Raine M. Ekman
The green base note dot in the instrument editor can have global
automation, but it can't be dragged to a regular automation track for
some reason. It's not a good solution, but you should be able to shift
the pitch that way.

Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:

> A pitch automation that is on a bunch of tracks would probably get you
> closest to what you are describing.  It's non-ideal to implement though, as
> pitch isn't everything you're describing and certainly won't change volume
> or duration.  Depending on the instrument, you could use some tricks to
> chomp off the notes using a side-chained gain, filter or compressor, but
> depending on your soundscape, this may not work.
>
> You may also want to ask on our forums... https://lmms.io/forum.
>
> - [hidden email]
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there's an easier way to dynamically shift the
>> playback of one or more tracks up/down one or more octaves.  I know
>> about master pitch which let's me go +/- 12 semitones and I'm also
>> familiar with the ability to ctl-arrow in the piano roll to shift
>> up/down an octave at a time... I'm looking for something a bit
>> different.  Ideally I'd like an effects stack for notes (i.e.
>> dynamically modify the notes of one or more tracks after I'm done
>> editing them but before they are rendered as waveforms: shift notes
>> up/down, change duration, change volume, etc.), but right now I'd
>> settle for a quick way to shift multiple tracks by a given # of
>> octaves.  Is there a way to do this currently that I'm not seeing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: Dynamic transposition?

Phil (list)
Thanks to all for the replies and ideas.  It sounds like automation (an
option I had forgotten about) might be the best solution for me right
now.

Thanks again,
Phil