Ever heard of Composers Desktop Project?

Ever heard of Composers Desktop Project?

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composers_Desktop_Project (some general
info, links to further readings)
http://www.unstablesound.net/cdp.html (downloads page, some audio and video)
http://www.composersdesktop.com/index.html (seems like a main page, but
links to undtablesound for downloads)

I've heard of it at lesson... and I don't quite get what it is about
from the websites.
What I know is that it has been a project of many artists, based on UK,
running from 1986 to today.
Last year they released it as open-source, so I thought about sharing it
here.
Also, they are further developing it to make it easier to use inside
third-party programs, as stated in unstablesound page I linked.

A youtuber, called Xenakios, did something with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGB7iol_i_A
(he has more videos on its channel about CDP)
It seems like he's able to implement effects from CDP to Reaper.

 From what I see, maybe LMMS is not the right place to copy-paste code
from it, since it works more like Audacity (select audio, apply effect).
I didn't actually see the code myself, but I hope someone will find it
interesting!

~DeRobyJ

P.S.: Grats to BoLV2 winners, I've heard really great tracks! Next year
I'll surely be in the list, so get ready! ;D

Re: Ever heard of Composers Desktop Project?

Tres Finocchiaro

Looks like some old proprietary DOS and Unix code was finally opensourced.

I'm not sure how relevant the claim of 30 years of development is, in this context.  And I find it quite the loaded statement considering the pages offer barely any end-user nor developer benefits explained and nothing that I can see listed in terms of modern technologies.  If these are command-line non-realtime utilities, many may already exist in the wild.

In terms of licensing -- LGPL can have issues with GPL so -- we'll have to be careful before cherry picking.  Probably our best bet is to have a DSP savvy dev skim over the code and bullet what -- if any -- benefits it can offer the FOSS community as well as the LMMS project.

Thanks for the link!

On May 3, 2015 8:07 AM, "DeRobyJ" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

 From what I see, maybe LMMS is not the right place to copy-paste code