Export to MIDI file

midi-pascal
Hi all,

By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file structure,
I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert from
an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.

Is this pertinent?
Any feedback is very welcome :-)

midi-pascal

Re: Export to MIDI file

Tres Finocchiaro

Great news.  Yes, built-in would be most ideal! :)

Re: Export to MIDI file

David Gerard-2
OH YES PLEASE!!

This might be one of the most-requested features. I found mailing list
requests back to 2009 ...

LMMS can specify things you can't specify in MIDI, but not many of
them. So in an ideal world (once we have something it can be
iteratively improved), this could become a pretty good export.

On 23 November 2014 at 21:58, midi-pascal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
> interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
> Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file structure,
> I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert from
> an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
>
> Is this pertinent?
> Any feedback is very welcome :-)
>
> midi-pascal

Re: Export to MIDI file

Rob Kudla
On 11/23/2014 04:58 PM, midi-pascal wrote:
> Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file structure,
> I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert from
> an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
> Is this pertinent?
> Any feedback is very welcome :-)

Very pertinent. I started working on a perl filter to do this (based on one
of my old project file manipulation scripts I dug up after the discussion
earlier this week), but your understanding of the MIDI file format is
likely far better and more current.

Rob

Re: Export to MIDI file

midi-pascal
You probably found my requests for this in the mailing list :-)
Since I lost my job recently, I have some time to spend on pleasant
things...

midi-pascal

On 14-11-23 05:13 PM, David Gerard wrote:

> OH YES PLEASE!!
>
> This might be one of the most-requested features. I found mailing list
> requests back to 2009 ...
>
> LMMS can specify things you can't specify in MIDI, but not many of
> them. So in an ideal world (once we have something it can be
> iteratively improved), this could become a pretty good export.
>

> On 23 November 2014 at 21:58, midi-pascal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
>> interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
>> Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file structure,
>> I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert from
>> an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
>>
>> Is this pertinent?
>> Any feedback is very welcome :-)
>>
>> midi-pascal

Re: Export to MIDI file

diiz
On 11/23/2014 11:58 PM, midi-pascal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
> interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
> Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file structure,
> I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert from
> an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
>
> Is this pertinent?
> Any feedback is very welcome :-)
>
> midi-pascal

You should do it as a file-export plugin. I think LMMS supports those
even though we don't have any at the moment... so it might be a bit
tricky to get started but I'm sure we can figure it out together.

Target for master branch.

Re: Export to MIDI file

Juan
Vesa <dii.dii <at> nbl.fi> writes:

> On 11/23/2014 11:58 PM, midi-pascal wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
> > interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
> > Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file
structure,
> > I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert
from

> > an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
> >
> > Is this pertinent?
> > Any feedback is very welcome
> >
> > midi-pascal
>
> You should do it as a file-export plugin. I think LMMS supports those
> even though we don't have any at the moment... so it might be a bit
> tricky to get started but I'm sure we can figure it out together.
>
> Target for master branch.

--------
> from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
Dashboards
> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
more
> Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations,
FREE
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?
id=157005751&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Hi.

What happened with the "build either a stand alone program to convert
from an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so" that you
could work on??

It has been a while since we got those incredible news and it would be
nice to know if something good is happening with it.

/Juan

Re: Export to MIDI file

midi-pascal
On 15-05-14 07:45 PM, Juan wrote:

> Vesa <dii.dii <at> nbl.fi> writes:
>
>> On 11/23/2014 11:58 PM, midi-pascal wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> By reading the devel mailing list for a long time I clearly see some
>>> interest for an "Export to MIDIfile" in lmms.
>>> Since I have a very good knowledge of the low level MIDI file
> structure,
>>> I would be willing to build either a stand alone program to convert
> from
>>> an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so.
>>>
>>> Is this pertinent?
>>> Any feedback is very welcome
>>>
>>> midi-pascal
>> You should do it as a file-export plugin. I think LMMS supports those
>> even though we don't have any at the moment... so it might be a bit
>> tricky to get started but I'm sure we can figure it out together.
>>
>> Target for master branch.

> --------
>> from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
> Dashboards
>> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
> more
>> Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations,
> FREE
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?
> id=157005751&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> Hi.
>
> What happened with the "build either a stand alone program to convert
> from an mpp file to MIDI file or a plugin for lmms to do so" that you
> could work on??
>
> It has been a while since we got those incredible news and it would be
> nice to know if something good is happening with it.
>

> /Juan

It looks like someone else did it.
The master branch has the "Export MIdi..." feature in the File menu.
And it works well.
I do not know in which official version this will be available but it is
there.

midi-pascal