Hello everyone!

Mayo Staccato
Hi, I'm SirBothersome, I've already begun working on developing LMMS, but i feel I should formally introduce myself. I'm a musician and sometimes developer with a background in sound editing and C++ (especially debugging)..
         I'm currently working on getting new samples for LMMS (view the pull request here)
  I'd like to work on plugin development and perhaps general UI features.
I was wondering a) what constitutes a working knowledge of C++ for developing
b)what the most favored IDE is
c) if any of the legal stipulations involved with the Open Source licensed Qt Creator are worth worrying about
Thanks for your time!
                                                                         -SirBothersome

Re: Hello everyone!

Tres Finocchiaro
> I was wondering a) what constitutes a working knowledge of C++ for developing

Some of the most active devs today don't have a C++ background, so this varies greatly.  There's no barrier to entry really, just good PRs, and they don't have to be good at first, just have to be good before being merged.

> b)what the most favored IDE is

Qt Creator, unofficially.

QtCreator Initial loading

QtCreator tips

> c) if any of the legal stipulations involved with the Open Source licensed Qt Creator are worth worrying about

After reviewing the FAQ on Qt's website, it doesn't look like it.  When using the Community Edition of the software (non-commercial) they offer LGPL and GPL options, but I'll have to defer this question to someone like Javier Serrano Polo (@jasp00).

Welcome, we look forward to the help!

We have 463 open bug reports, we could use some bug squashers. :)

Re: Hello everyone!

Cláudio Pinheiro
In general the Qt licensing is as follows: You can create a commercial app with Qt of a library that dynamically links to it if you want so. The Community Edition is distributed under LGPL, so you don't need to release your source code but has to provide a reasonable way to download Qt. If you change/patch Qt Community Edition itself then you must offer your modifications under the LGPL.
Some extra Qt modules are GPL licensed, and to distribute your program linked with GPL modules you must license it under GPL too, meaning that you must provide the source code of your program under the aforementioned license.. Depending on what Qt version you're using, such modules may be available under GPL2 or GPL3. Newest ones (as of Qt 5.7) are GPL3. If you don't intend to distribute your code, and the compiled program is for your own personal, individual, exclusive use only, then you don't need to release anything.
If you want to develop open source software, you must choose a license compatible with LGPL/GPL, If you intend to do so using a license other than GPL, LPGL, MIT, BSD or Public Domain, you should check with someone more knowledgeable, like a Lawyer. Some open source licenses are incompatible with GPL. Apache License is one to avoid.
Besides Qt, every single other library you intend to use must have its license compatibility assessed. As an example, Steinberg's VST Library has a license totally incompatible with GPL. LMMS is able to use VST instruments because of Vestige, that doesn't use code from Steinberg.

Happy hacking!

Cláudio

> I was wondering a) what constitutes a working knowledge of C++ for developing

Some of the most active devs today don't have a C++ background, so this varies greatly.  There's no barrier to entry really, just good PRs, and they don't have to be good at first, just have to be good before being merged.

> b)what the most favored IDE is

Qt Creator, unofficially.

QtCreator Initial loading

QtCreator tips

> c) if any of the legal stipulations involved with the Open Source licensed Qt Creator are worth worrying about

After reviewing the FAQ on Qt's website, it doesn't look like it.  When using the Community Edition of the software (non-commercial) they offer LGPL and GPL options, but I'll have to defer this question to someone like Javier Serrano Polo (@jasp00).

Welcome, we look forward to the help!

We have 463 open bug reports, we could use some bug squashers. :)

Re: Hello everyone!

Cláudio Pinheiro
In general the Qt licensing is as follows: You can create a commercial app with Qt of a library that dynamically links to it if you want so. The Community Edition is distributed under LGPL, so you don't need to release your source code but has to provide a reasonable way to download Qt. If you change/patch Qt Community Edition itself then you must offer your modifications under the LGPL.
Some extra Qt modules are GPL licensed, and to distribute your program linked with GPL modules you must license it under GPL too, meaning that you must provide the source code of your program under the aforementioned license.. Depending on what Qt version you're using, such modules may be available under GPL2 or GPL3. Newest ones (as of Qt 5.7) are GPL3. If you don't intend to distribute your code, and the compiled program is for your own personal, individual, exclusive use only, then you don't need to release anything.
If you want to develop open source software, you must choose a license compatible with LGPL/GPL, If you intend to do so using a license other than GPL, LPGL, MIT, BSD or Public Domain, you should check with someone more knowledgeable, like a Lawyer. Some open source licenses are incompatible with GPL. Apache License is one to avoid.
Besides Qt, every single other library you intend to use must have its license compatibility assessed. As an example, Steinberg's VST Library has a license totally incompatible with GPL. LMMS is able to use VST instruments because of Vestige, that doesn't use code from Steinberg.

Happy hacking!

Cláudio

P.S.: Sorry for the previous email. I'm a bit odd today. :)

> I was wondering a) what constitutes a working knowledge of C++ for developing

Some of the most active devs today don't have a C++ background, so this varies greatly.  There's no barrier to entry really, just good PRs, and they don't have to be good at first, just have to be good before being merged.

> b)what the most favored IDE is

Qt Creator, unofficially.

QtCreator Initial loading

QtCreator tips

> c) if any of the legal stipulations involved with the Open Source licensed Qt Creator are worth worrying about

After reviewing the FAQ on Qt's website, it doesn't look like it.  When using the Community Edition of the software (non-commercial) they offer LGPL and GPL options, but I'll have to defer this question to someone like Javier Serrano Polo (@jasp00).

Welcome, we look forward to the help!

We have 463 open bug reports, we could use some bug squashers. :)

Re: Hello everyone!

Mayo Staccato
Thanks Claudio! that's good to know