Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Afiya Carol
Hi
I have just found LMMS on Github and saw that impressive list of features but what I look for is a software like LMMS that can in addition record my voice (singing) to be able to record a fully self composed song including all instruments and singing.

Is that possible with LMMS? Is there any other chance to get that done for me?

thanks
Carol

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Stian Jørgensrud
Everyone would suggest Audacity if you are on Windows, on Linux Ardour or Qtractor(?)

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Dave French
I personally use Audacity on linux, but mainly because i sort of know how to use it

On 28 February 2015 at 20:53, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Everyone would suggest Audacity if you are on Windows, on Linux Ardour or
Qtractor(?)

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

David Gerard-2
Audacity is ridiculously easy to use. To the point that, the first
time I had occasion to use it, I went from "sudo apt-get install
audacity" to finished product[1] in a couple of hours. I sorta went
"HOLY SHIT it's the four-track we REALLY WANTED MORE THAN ANYTHING in
the 1990s." You know, the 1990s, when four-track *cassette* recording
was big news.

- d.

[1] http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:UnNews_-_Chipmunks_on_crack_more_productive_than_Uncyclopedians.ogg

On 28 February 2015 at 21:12, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally use Audacity on linux, but mainly because i sort of know how to
> use it
>
> On 28 February 2015 at 20:53, Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Everyone would suggest Audacity if you are on Windows, on Linux Ardour or
>> Qtractor(?)
>>

>> --

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for
>> all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

> sponsored
> all

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

musikbear
does any of you know any way to record only one dry input, for-instance vocal, but not the output from lmms?

-Or does that need some (extremely expensive) hardware?

-I believe i have heard that it is posible to do with jack, but firstly i dont know squad about jack, and even less about how to use it on windows :P

Any pointer for this would be apreciated!

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Tres Finocchiaro
one /dry input/, for-instance vocal, but *not* the output from lmms?

I was going to offer help but my head exploded reading this line.  Can you paraphrase?  Are you looking to record a single un-processed channel in LMMS from your sound card while the output it is still being processed by your sound card?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:02 AM, musikbear <[hidden email]> wrote:
does any of you know any way to record only one /dry input/, for-instance
vocal, but *not* the output from lmms?

-Or does that need some (extremely expensive) hardware?

-I believe i have heard that it is posible to do with *jack*, but firstly i
dont know squad about jack, and even /less/ about how to use it on windows
:P

Any pointer for this would be apreciated!

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

musikbear
paraphrase .. well -if you emagine that lmms is playing and simultaneously you use a microphone, then what comes out of lmms can be heard by you, through the speakers, but only what you say in the microphone will be recorded by audacity.
So -how to split the two 'incoming' signals so one (lmms') goes through the speakers, but only the signal from the microphone, will be recieved and recorded by Audacity (or another similar proggy)

I kind of think that a soundcard with multiple channels is needed for this act, but wonder if jack can split microphone from primary-output ..?

:) and in windows.. (thats not meant for jack at all:) -on top of everything else

Tall order, delivered by a blindfolded one legged man, on roller-scate(s)

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Tres Finocchiaro
the speakers, but only the signal from the microphone, will be recieved /and
recorded/ by Audacity (or another similar proggy)

I do this all the time, but find it better for performance reasons to render to wav and just record and play straight through audacity.  Select the mic from the input in audicity.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM, musikbear <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If you need to hear your voice "listen to this device" in the microphone settings is a setting that has been available in Windows for quite some time.

We use a Blue Yeti microphone which has the headphone plug built into the base with a volume knob.

It is USB so it acts as its own sound device.

We got ours for $100 USD.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Spekular R

@tresf I've heard excellent reviews about the blue yeti, what do you use it for? And what/who do you mean by we?

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

Tres Finocchiaro
@tresf I've heard excellent reviews about the blue yeti, what do you use it for?

Vocals, solely.  The USB cable is great because there is no line noise! :)

And what/who do you mean by we?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Spekular R <[hidden email]> wrote:

@tresf I've heard excellent reviews about the blue yeti, what do you use it for? And what/who do you mean by we?

Re: Is it possible to record voice in addition using LMMS?

musikbear
Tres Finocchiaro wrote
  Select the mic from the input in audicity.
woot.. dident know that option at all! Thanks -i will try if i can do that
That microphone looks like a peach in custard :D Niiice!