LSP browser inside LMMS

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
Hi,

Would it be possible to have an LSP browser directly inside the program?
Something like the drumkit browser in Hydrogen.
We have a really large library of sounds in the LSP, and I think most
people (like me) don't like to open the site, download a preset and move
it into the right folder.
Or maybe a "download all presets/samples/etc" section in the site could
be interesting.

Also, I think we need an "refresh" button for the folder explorers of
the SideBar: when you put a new preset/sample in those folders, LMMS
needs to be restarted to see it.

~DeRobyJ

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
Would it be possible to have an LSP browser directly inside the program?

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
Oh, ok. Never knew what the button was for xD
too bad about the lsp D:

Would it be possible to have an LSP browser directly inside the program?

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
too bad about the lsp D:

Well, we have our LSP code in GitHub now and we're using Composer to manage our 3rd party PHP plugins, so this is quite possible.

The LSP should be rewritten to leverage Twig (html templates) and separate the database stuff from the GUI stuff like Lukas already has for many of our pages.

That twig work would be a good learning process for any member of the team interested in starting cloud integration.

As far as Amazon S3 fees (assuming we'd use amazon), we average about $20 a month in donations which could very well pay for the data.

So this is all possible, but it requires some good planning and ambitious coders.

Furthermore, it sort of implies our LSP is a bit more organized than it is now.  The original ticket was under the impression that we'd redo our LSP from scratch.  When we talk organisation of our LSP it brings in conversations about licensing, genre, quality control (loudness, usefulness of samples, removal of 3rd party FX, etc) so this can quickly become an encompassing task, but it is certainly possible.  We have the skills and the resources available to pull this off, we're just focusing our efforts on other things currently. :)

-Tres

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM, DeRobyJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh, ok. Never knew what the button was for xD
too bad about the lsp D:

Would it be possible to have an LSP browser directly inside the program?

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
In regards to hosting would you guys be open to another alternative than amazon in terms of hosting in the cloud?

This was all outlined in the original bug report, which you were a big part of.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
In regards to hosting would you guys be open to another alternative than amazon in terms of hosting in the cloud?

This was all outlined in the original bug report, which you were a big part of.

I lied, I put the research on the mailing list.  I've appended it to the bottom of #661 so you can take a look.

This is why specific enhancement and bug conversations should really be on the tracker.  Digging through email archives for this stuff sucks (which I am guilty of as well) :)

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
I have a place we can get a decent ssd based virtual server with tons of bandwidth and top notch reliability.

You are putting the cart before the horse here Jonathan.  If you read the feedback from the review, it puts a preference on Amazon due to the "free tier" which allows us to try before we buy.

But if we're considering someone who isn't on this list, we're probably wasting our time anyway.  P.S. "Tons" and "top notch" are not qualitative words, so your statement is just a big fluffy marshmallow.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

diiz
A reminder: before we add any online features to LMMS, we need to
remember that any time something is connected online, it brings with it
a whole bunch of new issues to worry about.

As long as LMMS is a purely local application, we don't need to worry
about such things. The moment we allow LMMS to connect online, we accept
a responsibility of handling the user's data over networks, and all the
privacy & security concerns that come with it. Simply adding an online
feature while ignoring those concerns is unacceptable.

So we really need a cost/benefit analysis here...

Re: LSP browser inside LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Vesa <[hidden email]> wrote:
A reminder: before we add any online features to LMMS, we need to
remember that any time something is connected online, it brings with it
a whole bunch of new issues to worry about.

As long as LMMS is a purely local application, we don't need to worry
about such things. The moment we allow LMMS to connect online, we accept
a responsibility of handling the user's data over networks, and all the
privacy & security concerns that come with it. Simply adding an online
feature while ignoring those concerns is unacceptable.

So we really need a cost/benefit analysis here...

@Vesa,

These original comments of yours seem to have gotten lost in the abyss of our mailing list when the discussion last surfaced.  I've appended them to the #661 bug report.