Let's release 1.1

1234 ... 8

Let's release 1.1

diiz
If there are issues, we can fix them in later bugfix releases. I think
it's time to get this thing out so we can all concentrate more on the
1.2 branch.

I think all the showstopper issues have been fixed and there shouldn't
be anything major standing in the way of release. If anyone disagrees,
speak up now...

Re: Let's release 1.1

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
I'm sorry, but I just found out that this bug:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/999 Is not fixed (as of 1.0.93)
I think it is a crucial bug for certain users. For example I found it
out while recording for a Commented LMMS session I'm going to upload in
my YT channel soon xD
Win7 64bit - Novation Mininova - MIDI in-out was working

Il 06/09/2014 10:12, Vesa ha scritto:

> If there are issues, we can fix them in later bugfix releases. I think
> it's time to get this thing out so we can all concentrate more on the
> 1.2 branch.
>
> I think all the showstopper issues have been fixed and there shouldn't
> be anything major standing in the way of release. If anyone disagrees,
> speak up now...

Re: Let's release 1.1

diiz
On 09/06/2014 01:05 PM, DeRobyJ wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I just found out that this bug:
> https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/999 Is not fixed (as of 1.0.93)

Can anyone else confirm this? AFAIK it's fixed, was reported and
confirmed to be working.

Re: Let's release 1.1

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
Yeah I know... it may actually be my problem here, since there wasn't
any change in MIDI controllers after this fix °-°

Il 06/09/2014 15:11, Vesa ha scritto:
> On 09/06/2014 01:05 PM, DeRobyJ wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but I just found out that this bug:
>> https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/999 Is not fixed (as of 1.0.93)
> Can anyone else confirm this? AFAIK it's fixed, was reported and
> confirmed to be working.

Re: Let's release 1.1

musikbear
diiz wrote
 If anyone disagrees,
speak up now...
one question - will 1.1 be with memory-manager (mm)?
(I wrote you a personal message regarding mm, and test-results yesterday)

Re: Let's release 1.1

diiz
On 09/06/2014 06:57 PM, musikbear wrote:
> diiz wrote
>>  If anyone disagrees,
>> speak up now...
> one question - will 1.1 be with memory-manager (mm)?

No, that's in the 1.2 branch

> (I wrote you a personal message regarding /mm/, and test-results yesterday)

If you follow the mailing list, you can see that the performance hit in
the memmgr branch has already been noted, and also that the
MemoryManager is not the culprit for this performance regression. We're
already trying to track down the cause for this regression.

Re: Let's release 1.1

Stian Jørgensrud
Yeah, let's release it after I have solved this stupidity of mine:

I can't understand the logic behind the "Start from note" led toggle and "End to note" led toggle in the new Kicker. Umcaruje (Uros Maravic) and grejppi (Hannu) tried to explain it for me, and then it appeared even more that the logic was inverted. When both leds are on (green), the tone does not bend from the beginning frequency to the end frq, and in my head, that means that the slide function is off. When both leds are off... well, then it bends.

The logic seems inverted?

Re: Let's release 1.1

diiz
On 09/06/2014 11:27 PM, Stian Jørgensrud wrote:

> Yeah, let's release it after I have solved this stupidity of mine:
>
> I can't understand the logic behind the "Start from note" led toggle and
> "End to note" led toggle in the new Kicker. Umcaruje (Uros Maravic) and
> grejppi (Hannu) tried to explain it for me, and then it appeared even more
> that the logic was inverted. When both leds are on (green), the tone does
> not bend from the beginning frequency to the end frq, and in my head, that
> means that the slide function is off. When both leds are off... well, then
> it bends.
>
> The logic seems inverted?

When the led is on, the frequency will be taken from the note frequency
instead of the knob. If both leds are on, both the start and end
frequency are taken from note frequency, thus they are both the same and
there is no pitch sweep happening.

Re: Let's release 1.1

BaraMGB
For me this issue (https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/999) on stable-1.1
branch is fixed.

Steffen Baranowsky

Re: Let's release 1.1

Stian Jørgensrud
Ohh. Now I get it. I will write it correctly in the wiki. http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Kicker

Re: Let's release 1.1

Stian Jørgensrud
Right now on 1.0.93 (which is RC4) I can't move the start point in Audio File Processor. I must first move the loopbackpoint, then i can move the start point. The start point get's cornered. Was there ever a ticket on this on Github?

And I find this serious enough to wait with 1.1.0.

Re: Let's release 1.1

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
Nice then, it must have been a problem of mine. I'll check for it in 1.1
and then do a detailed report if it's still happening to me.

Il 06/09/2014 22:48, BaraMGB ha scritto:

> For me this issue (https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/999) on stable-1.1
> branch is fixed.
>
> Steffen Baranowsky

> .

Re: Let's release 1.1

musikbear
Stian Jørgensrud wrote
 I must first move the loopbackpoint, then i can move the start point. The start point get's cornered. Was there ever a ticket on this on Github?
yes, i sugested that the loop-point-bar is 'parked' in a middle posistion between start and end. Then its more intuiative how the 3 dials work.

Re: Let's release 1.1

diiz
On 09/07/2014 01:54 PM, musikbear wrote:
> Stian Jørgensrud wrote
>>  I must first move the loopbackpoint, then i can move the start point. The
>> start point get's cornered. Was there ever a ticket on this on Github?
> yes, i sugested that the loop-point-bar is 'parked' in a middle posistion
> between start and end. Then its more intuiative how the 3 dials work.

I think this is something that can be fixed in 1.2. Maybe it can be
backported to the 1.1 branch later... For now I think it's better to
just get 1.1 released, we're already so much behind schedule.

Re: Let's release 1.1

Stian Jørgensrud
Strongly disagree. I can predict many will inform us about this bug, and I must tell them many times about the workaround. I will probably write about it when posting about the release (in addition to the theme bug, that list is already too long IMO), but this bug is far worse as it, unlike the theme bug, is newly introduced, and causes extra work every time you want to adjust the start knob.

What about musikBears suggestion to have the middle point default to 50% of the sample's length? Users would probably understand much quicker.

diiz wrote
On 09/07/2014 01:54 PM, musikbear wrote:
> Stian Jørgensrud wrote
>>  I must first move the loopbackpoint, then i can move the start point. The
>> start point get's cornered. Was there ever a ticket on this on Github?
> yes, i sugested that the loop-point-bar is 'parked' in a middle posistion
> between start and end. Then its more intuiative how the 3 dials work.

I think this is something that can be fixed in 1.2. Maybe it can be
backported to the 1.1 branch later... For now I think it's better to
just get 1.1 released, we're already so much behind schedule.

Re: Let's release 1.1

Tres Finocchiaro

Assuming this bug report is valid, I actually side with Stian on this one, we don't mess with user-space.

Re: Let's release 1.1

diiz
On 09/07/2014 05:13 PM, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:

> Assuming this bug report is valid, I actually side with Stian on this
> one, we don't mess with user-space.

Technically, all we do is mess with user-space. ;)

Well then, let's hope someone has the time to fix it... I'm having a
pretty busy schedule for the next week or two, and I'm currently
occupied with the memory manager branch. So unless someone steps up,
this means that considering this small UI flaw a showstopper will
postpone the release of 1.1 even further.

This is why I think it's better to just release 1.1 now and fix small
issues like this in point releases. 1.1 is now in pretty usable state,
reasonably stable and working as well as can be expected.

Re: Let's release 1.1

Tres Finocchiaro

I remember this being brought up very early into the loop changes.  This isn't the only bug either... There was one musikbear filed too.

The problem is that we often add new features but remove good functionality.  I think the problem here is that a milestone bug was never filed so it slipped through the cracks.

Furthermore, it is a bit unreasonable to expect someone not familiar with the code to tackle this one.

That said, the loop functionality is very nice and its rude to "look a gift horse in the mouth" so to speak and point any fingers.

My time has been spent converting LSP code to PDO database calls and theming it to the new site.  I could set that aside and stare at some knob code for a while, but it would take me hours -- instead of the minutes it would take someone familiar with the code.

I struggle with C++, even more so when we mix C/C++ together.  I get passing by pointers, addresses, value, but from a Java side of the fence, everything is a pointer so I get confused quickly (I need a refresher course on C).

I suppose the first step is to file a detailed bug report for this problem.  I can try to work on it over the next few days if no one else will. :)

Re: Let's release 1.1

Tres Finocchiaro
The logic which prevents the knob from turning seems to be in this general area:

It's some basic greater than/less than code.  If someone feels they can tackle it, please post details in the bug report (https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1134).