Quantcast

Native sample library

Mayo Staccato
Hello all. SIrBothersome here. As some of you probably know, over the course of the years, the native LMMS sample library has been accused on multiple occasions of copyright violation/improper licensing, or something to that effect. Well, last night, looking through LMMS legacy repos, I made an important discovery. Our current library appears to have been first implemented in version 0.09, though without the .ds files and a few of the .oggs. A good portion of them still appear though. In the "authors" file, one Sebastian Tilsch is credited for "Recording many samples". Credit to Tilsch first appears in version 0.09. This strongly suggests that the majority of LMMS's sample library is properly licensed. Many of the samples are acoustic, or appear to have been sampled from a drum machine. (I have yet to see Roland go after people for recording the TR-808). There are a few sample of unknown origin, but in the first release of LMMS (0.01) Tobydox credits a sound website (sound.condorow.net). This site appears to no longer be in existence, but site data seems to indicate it would offer open-licensed samples. I find this to be rather conclusive evidence that the native sample library offers nothing to worry about in terms of licensing. Hope you like this find, and have  nice day

Re: Native sample library

Tres Finocchiaro
Mayo, Sir whatever...

No one accused the built-in library of infringement except you.

Rather, it was our new library we were constructing -- spearheaded at that time by someone under the alias of "HDD" whom obtained samples under false pretence.  HDD had made the promise to offer accreditation in our library while also asking for CC0.

This is documented here:

Any suspicion of violations of built-in samples today was a witch hunt you started, so this email is superfluous to the project.

Since you've stated you're no longer working on this, the rest of the team will focus on this as time permits.

Best regards,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Mayo Staccato <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aaaaaand, just for good measure
https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?t=857
In related news, I've found a few made-from scratch sample packs in the mailing list archives.... so I unquit.
peace

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Mayo Staccato <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That whole conversation is speculative and unspecific.

If the OP had asked something specific...
  • "Can I use LMMS samples to create a track in another DAW" the answer is yes, royalty free.
If the OP had asked something like
  • "Are the samples bundled with LMMS CC0? Can I take attribution and call them my own?"  The answer is no.  The samples as a whole were never officially released CC0.
Please stop supporting a dumb argument by linking dumb questions.  If you want to fix the samples library, just do it and shut up.  The discussion can live in the multiple threads we already have for this type of discussion.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Mayo Staccato <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Morris
I don't know, but it seems like this mailing list can get hostile at some points. its kinda ridiculous I'm getting messages of people arguing and belittling each other over a simple question. i find this mailing list helpful most of the time. but extremely annoying the other half of the time.....and tres your basically stating people asking questions are stupid "Please stop supporting a dumb argument by linking dumb questions." so when people ask about something they know nothing of its a stupid question??? and mayo support your statements in a less sarcastic and hostile way.

Can we move forward from this BS argument thats blowing up people emails.....i like to get great info and help from these emails. but this isn't the case at the moment......

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Mayo Staccato <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The licensing conversations have been covered many times on the samples library repository.

Statements like this don't help:

This strongly suggests that the majority of LMMS's sample library is properly licensed

As there's no definition of what "proper" is.

Moving forward, all samples presets and projects should be CC0.  "CC0" is proper and the OP knows that.  Anything else is a waste of time to even talk about as it takes liberties away from the composer and adds vagueness which will only end up with more questions and more really bad speculative answers.

Re: Native sample library

Mayo Staccato
I don't know, but it seems like this mailing list can get hostile at some point

Okay, granted my sarcasm was unwarranted (apologies tresf), but I do feel that this an important find. Given the circumstances though, it is no longer worth discussing in this context.
Peace.