Power consumption and performance optimisation

Power consumption and performance optimisation

Tobiasz Karoń
Problem

For a longer time I'm observing that LMMS is using quite a lot of resources all the time, depending on the size of a project loaded even when no sound is produced.

Straigth off when I load "unfa - Spoken" LMMS consumes 132 - 148 % of the CPU (as displayed by htop). I'm using a 2-core (4 threads) Intel core i7 processor. That's quite a lot of processing being done that produce absolutely nothing and is not supposed to exist.

Solution

My idea to help this situation is an Instrument Usage Map.

To put is simple: it's about keeping track of which instruments are playing in which bars of the project. Then the program can use this information to process only those instruments that will actually make a difference, omitting the rest and assuming it's producing digital silence.

What say thou?

Let's talk about this.

--
- Tobiasz 'unfa' Karoń