Quantcast

Problem building on Linux

Phil (list)
I pulled the latest from github and thought I had all of the required
prerequisites to build LMMS but ran into a snag:

[ 81%] Generating RemoteVstPlugin
/bin/sh: 1: WINE_CXX-NOTFOUND: not found
plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make:53: recipe for target
'plugins/vst_base/RemoteVstPlugin' failed

wine and wine-dev are installed... what am I missing?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Problem building on Linux

Jonas Trappenberg
Have you already checked this thread on GitHub?
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1097

On 15-01-18 07:37 PM, Phil (list) wrote:

> I pulled the latest from github and thought I had all of the required
> prerequisites to build LMMS but ran into a snag:
>
> [ 81%] Generating RemoteVstPlugin
> /bin/sh: 1: WINE_CXX-NOTFOUND: not found
> plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make:53: recipe for target
> 'plugins/vst_base/RemoteVstPlugin' failed
>
> wine and wine-dev are installed... what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Re: Problem building on Linux

Phil (list)
Jonas,

I hadn't seen this but it did lead me to what the issue appears to be:
I'm running 64-bit Debian (Jessie) and have installed wine-development.
While this appears to install support both for 64- and 32-bit Wine
support, there doesn't actually appear to be a 64-bit winegcc which is
what the build process appears to be looking for (or it needs to be
looking for winegcc32).  There
exist /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/bin/winegcc and /usr/bin/winegcc32
which both appear to be 32-bit versions so this may be one of the
unknown 64-bit compat steps Tres mentioned...

Thanks,
Phil

On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 20:45 -0800, Jonas Trappenberg wrote:

> Have you already checked this thread on GitHub?
> https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1097
>

> On 15-01-18 07:37 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> > I pulled the latest from github and thought I had all of the required
> > prerequisites to build LMMS but ran into a snag:
> >
> > [ 81%] Generating RemoteVstPlugin
> > /bin/sh: 1: WINE_CXX-NOTFOUND: not found
> > plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make:53: recipe for target
> > 'plugins/vst_base/RemoteVstPlugin' failed
> >
> > wine and wine-dev are installed... what am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil

Re: Problem building on Linux

Tres Finocchiaro
Might be way off here, but we do have a line item on our wiki that speaks about 32-bit/64-bit VST issues.  It is in the make step though so it may not be relevant.

Note: On some Debian based systems if VST fails to locate wine-dev, append -DWINE_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libwine.so

Whatever you discover, please let us know and we'll be happy to add it to our documentation.

-Tres

Also, the OP in <a href="http://I managed, I think wine-dev has some conflict with libwine-dev, I removed the latter and it compiled, thanks for the help!">#1097 claims removing libwine-dev fixed his issues per:

I managed, I think wine-dev has some conflict with libwine-dev, I removed the latter and it compiled, thanks for the help!

Hope this helps! :)  If not, I can fire up an identical dev machine and see where the problem is.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
Might be way off here, but we do have a line item on our wiki that speaks about 32-bit/64-bit VST issues.  It is in the make step though so it may not be relevant.

Note: On some Debian based systems if VST fails to locate wine-dev, append -DWINE_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libwine.so

Whatever you discover, please let us know and we'll be happy to add it to our documentation.

-Tres

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 1:28 AM, Phil (list) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jonas,

I hadn't seen this but it did lead me to what the issue appears to be:
I'm running 64-bit Debian (Jessie) and have installed wine-development.
While this appears to install support both for 64- and 32-bit Wine
support, there doesn't actually appear to be a 64-bit winegcc which is
what the build process appears to be looking for (or it needs to be
looking for winegcc32).  There
exist /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/bin/winegcc and /usr/bin/winegcc32
which both appear to be 32-bit versions so this may be one of the
unknown 64-bit compat steps Tres mentioned...

Thanks,
Phil

On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 20:45 -0800, Jonas Trappenberg wrote:
> Have you already checked this thread on GitHub?
> https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1097
>

> On 15-01-18 07:37 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> > I pulled the latest from github and thought I had all of the required
> > prerequisites to build LMMS but ran into a snag:
> >
> > [ 81%] Generating RemoteVstPlugin
> > /bin/sh: 1: WINE_CXX-NOTFOUND: not found
> > plugins/vst_base/CMakeFiles/vstbase.dir/build.make:53: recipe for target
> > 'plugins/vst_base/RemoteVstPlugin' failed
> >
> > wine and wine-dev are installed... what am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil

Re: Problem building on Linux

Phil (list)
I uninstalled libwine-dev leaving only wine-development (assuming that
this was the equivalent to wine-dev as I couldn't find a package with
that name) installed as was mentioned in the bug report but that did not
work for me (cmake will then complain about 'not found, please install
(lib)wine-dev (or similar)')  I then tried adding -DWINE_LIBRARY but
there was no change, so I reinstalled libwine-dev.

As a sanity check to see if everything else was OK, I re-ran cmake with
-DWANT_VST=no and everything then builds successfully so this does just
appear to be a VST/Wine issue.

On Mon, 2015-01-19 at 08:50 -0500, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:

> [...]
>                 new server in Ashburn.
>                 > Choose from 2 high performing configs, both with
>                 100TB of bandwidth.
>                 > Higher redundancy.Lower latency.Increased
>                 capacity.Completely compliant.
>                 > http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet
>                 > _______________________________________________
>                 > LMMS-devel mailing list
>                 > [hidden email]
>                 >
>                 https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lmms-devel
>

>                 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 New Year. New Location. New Benefits. New Data Center
>                 in Ashburn, VA.
>                 GigeNET is offering a free month of service with a new
>                 server in Ashburn.
>                 Choose from 2 high performing configs, both with 100TB
>                 of bandwidth.
>                 Higher redundancy.Lower latency.Increased

I assume you've also tried the following per the build instructions?

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386 gcc-multilib g++-multilib

Re: Problem building on Linux

Phil (list)
I hadn't tried that (was following the README/INSTALL files.  It might
be a good idea to have a reference to
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/Compiling-lmms in README for those who
have issues building...)  I installed those packages and ran cmake
again... same issue.

So I then went back to the wiki and figured I'd make sure I had all of
the packages listed there and ran into conflicts with 'sudo apt-get
install build-essential...' most likely because my system is now a
hybrid of Debian 8 (which only has lmms 1.0 in its repos) and the
kxstudio packages needed to get lmms 1.1 installed.  Any other devs
running a similar setup?