Question about Lmms installation

midi-pascal
While installing Lmms under Ubuntu, I noticed the "include" directory is
copied to /usr/local/include.
I wonder why Lmms installs its include files.
What is this used for?

Just curiosity :)

Re: Question about Lmms installation

Tres Finocchiaro

Good question.  Probably a mistake by the packager (Israel) whom only surfaces from time to time.  We have his packaging notes in our wiki and we are in dire need of an official Ubuntu release process.

In the mean time use kxstudio which is our recommended approach for gaining the latest version per our debian/ubuntu download page, bottom section.

Re: Question about Lmms installation

midi-pascal
Thanks Tres.

I was more referring to the "make install" command rather than to the
Ubuntu packaging.
I am only curious to know what the Lmms header files can be used for, if
someone knows or if it is a mistake in the CMakeFile.

On 15-06-21 11:56 AM, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:

> Good question.  Probably a mistake by the packager (Israel) whom only
> surfaces from time to time.  We have his packaging notes in our wiki
> and we are in dire need of an official Ubuntu release process.
>
> In the mean time use kxstudio which is our recommended approach for
> gaining the latest version per our debian/ubuntu download page, bottom
> section.

Re: Question about Lmms installation

Tres Finocchiaro

Good question.  Probably safe to remove.   The idea at one point was likely to offer the ability to build other applications against the lmms binaries, but I'm not aware of any project that relies on our API, and its too vulnerable to change to even be reliable in that fashion.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with distributing software for Linux.  Does any know if distributing the headers is or was a best practice?

Re: Question about Lmms installation

Dave French
The only use I could conceive for these headers would be to build external plugins for lmms, As Tres has already mentioned, our API is unstable , and changes are undocumented.

What are the disadvantages of installing our header files?

On the other hand, anyone with the skill set to develop external applications for lmms, is more than capable of getting the files, And are probably already known to the LMMS project, and reading this mailing list.

If anyone is using the headder files in question, now could be a good time to speak up.

On 22 June 2015 at 02:23, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good question.  Probably safe to remove.   The idea at one point was likely to offer the ability to build other applications against the lmms binaries, but I'm not aware of any project that relies on our API, and its too vulnerable to change to even be reliable in that fashion.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with distributing software for Linux.  Does any know if distributing the headers is or was a best practice?

Re: Question about Lmms installation

Israel-28
Surfacing :)
The Ubuntu package does not install this. Also, I have tried (repeatedly) to contact the Debian packager Patrick Winnertz, and have had little success getting him to update LMMS.  What you REALLY need is a Debian packager, rather than an Ubuntu packager, since Ubuntu pulls in all the packages from Debian.  My bug fixes to the package have always been a temporary solution to the real problem of the Debian packager being mostly MIA.
Fortunately he did make some of the improvements to the package that I introduced and updated the Debian version to 1.0.0

If KXstudio builds a better package, then why don't they maintain it for Ubuntu?  Anyone can send a merge proposal.
@Tres  Is anyone form KXStudio on this list?

On 06/21/2015 10:56 AM, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:

Good question.  Probably a mistake by the packager (Israel) whom only surfaces from time to time.  We have his packaging notes in our wiki and we are in dire need of an official Ubuntu release process.

In the mean time use kxstudio which is our recommended approach for gaining the latest version per our debian/ubuntu download page, bottom section.

Regards

On Jun 22, 2015 3:20 PM, "Israel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Surfacing :)
> The Ubuntu package does not install this. Also, I have tried (repeatedly) to contact the Debian packager Patrick Winnertz, and have had little success getting him to update LMMS.  What you REALLY need is a Debian packager, rather than an Ubuntu packager, since Ubuntu pulls in all the packages from Debian.  My bug fixes to the package have always been a temporary solution to the real problem of the Debian packager being mostly MIA.
> Fortunately he did make some of the improvements to the package that I introduced and updated the Debian version to 1.0.0
>
> If KXstudio builds a better package, then why don't they maintain it for Ubuntu?  Anyone can send a merge proposal.

That is a good idea, I think.  ;)

Not sure, but this is the man you want to contact, opening an issue on our tracker and tagging @falkTX would be a good start.

https://github.com/falkTX

Re: Question about Lmms installation

Israel-28
Thanks Tres,
I contacted him, hopefully this will work out for the best!
I don't have near as much time as I used to :(
I appreciate it greatly!

--
Regards