Quantcast

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

12

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
I just came across the word "Dawsonite", which conveniently has the word "DAW" in it. :)  Just wanted to share.

Yes, this email thread is originally from 2010. :)  No, I don't think it's wise to rename the software, just food for thought. :)

noun An orthorhombic mineral, hydrous sodium aluminum carbonate, NaAlCO 3 (OH) 2, with a vitreous luster, occurring as white blade-shaped crystals: mined as an ore of aluminum.

-Tres

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:
oh! I like Rob's suggestions!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 09:40, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2010 01:03, D.e.L. wrote:
> - Free Sound Foundry/Factory (F.S.F.) :D
> - Barrel Binary ( refer to Barrel Organ )

Well, as long as we're throwing out our LMMS naming ideas, here are mine.
I think I submitted them to one of the developers maybe a year ago, but
can't find the email now, just the text file I was keeping them in.  I
wonder if there's still a point, though, since Unison is a nice name and it
sounds like it'll make LMMS obsolete eventually.

"Autonomy", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - LMMS has always been more capable as an "all-in-one",
    self-contained tool than other programs like it
  - The word evokes independence and rugged individualism
  - The word also contains "auto" at the beginning, reflecting
    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Ian Sannar
Reading through Rob's post (from 2010) he mentions the name "Unison".
I think "Unison Studio" sounds nice.

But, you know, renaming and all... difficult.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just came across the word "Dawsonite", which conveniently has the word "DAW" in it. :)  Just wanted to share.

Yes, this email thread is originally from 2010. :)  No, I don't think it's wise to rename the software, just food for thought. :)

noun An orthorhombic mineral, hydrous sodium aluminum carbonate, NaAlCO 3 (OH) 2, with a vitreous luster, occurring as white blade-shaped crystals: mined as an ore of aluminum.

-Tres

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:
oh! I like Rob's suggestions!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 09:40, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2010 01:03, D.e.L. wrote:
> - Free Sound Foundry/Factory (F.S.F.) :D
> - Barrel Binary ( refer to Barrel Organ )

Well, as long as we're throwing out our LMMS naming ideas, here are mine.
I think I submitted them to one of the developers maybe a year ago, but
can't find the email now, just the text file I was keeping them in.  I
wonder if there's still a point, though, since Unison is a nice name and it
sounds like it'll make LMMS obsolete eventually.

"Autonomy", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - LMMS has always been more capable as an "all-in-one",
    self-contained tool than other programs like it
  - The word evokes independence and rugged individualism
  - The word also contains "auto" at the beginning, reflecting
    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

DeRobyJ (giakkaHotmail surrogate)
Well... I do like Unison (I wouldn't recommend Dawsonite tho, it's hard to say for latin-like languages native speakers like me).
I still think something like "Open Tracks Studio" could be an option, but changing the name right now is quite a bad idea, we just reached 1.1 version...

We could, like, wait some years, and then, after the community grows (there is no way it won't grow) make a public pull about a new name.

We may find the perfect name in the meantime...

Talking about names... Do you find it hard to say "Cortana" or "Siri"? They're read as I would read them in Italian, I wonder why would they choose these names for a global service. Are they easy to say for any language native speaker?

~DeRobyJ

Il 14/09/2015 17:43, Ian Sannar ha scritto:
Reading through Rob's post (from 2010) he mentions the name "Unison".
I think "Unison Studio" sounds nice.

But, you know, renaming and all... difficult.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just came across the word "Dawsonite", which conveniently has the word "DAW" in it. :)  Just wanted to share.

Yes, this email thread is originally from 2010. :)  No, I don't think it's wise to rename the software, just food for thought. :)

noun An orthorhombic mineral, hydrous sodium aluminum carbonate, NaAlCO 3 (OH) 2, with a vitreous luster, occurring as white blade-shaped crystals: mined as an ore of aluminum.

-Tres

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:
oh! I like Rob's suggestions!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 09:40, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2010 01:03, D.e.L. wrote:
> - Free Sound Foundry/Factory (F.S.F.) :D
> - Barrel Binary ( refer to Barrel Organ )

Well, as long as we're throwing out our LMMS naming ideas, here are mine.
I think I submitted them to one of the developers maybe a year ago, but
can't find the email now, just the text file I was keeping them in.  I
wonder if there's still a point, though, since Unison is a nice name and it
sounds like it'll make LMMS obsolete eventually.

"Autonomy", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - LMMS has always been more capable as an "all-in-one",
    self-contained tool than other programs like it
  - The word evokes independence and rugged individualism
  - The word also contains "auto" at the beginning, reflecting
    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
What sparked the recent idea was watching "XBMC" change to "Kodi".

I still think something like "Open Tracks Studio" could be an option

I feel it is a bit too long.  I remember when "GAIM" switched to "Pidgin" and I thought it was ingenious given the logo (which is a pun, if you didn't know) in addition to the actual word "Pidgin" (not to be confused with "Pigeon") which gives it meaning.

Firefox was once called the Mozilla Navigator (or more commonly installed as part of the Mozilla Suite) and has a nice ring to it.

I think balancing a short name (pronounceable too, right?), a memorable name and a name that means something is the key.

  • LMMS is short.
  • LMMS is PARTIALLY memorable
  • LMMS is NOT easy to pronounce.
  • LMMS only PARTIALLY means something.

I even find "Gimp" to work for the 3 bullet points.

But then you have something like VLC:
  • VLC is short
  • VLC is easy to pronounce
  • VLC is memorable (for some strange reason, no one forgets its name)
  • VLC stands for "Video LAN Client" (hardly what it is used for), so the name is PARTIALLY valid like ours.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM, DeRobyJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Kevin <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
oh! I like Rob's suggestions!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 09:40, Rob <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2010 01:03, D.e.L. wrote:
> - Free Sound Foundry/Factory (F.S.F.) :D
> - Barrel Binary ( refer to Barrel Organ )

Well, as long as we're throwing out our LMMS naming ideas, here are mine.
I think I submitted them to one of the developers maybe a year ago, but
can't find the email now, just the text file I was keeping them in.  I
wonder if there's still a point, though, since Unison is a nice name and it
sounds like it'll make LMMS obsolete eventually.

"Autonomy", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - LMMS has always been more capable as an "all-in-one",
    self-contained tool than other programs like it
  - The word evokes independence and rugged individualism
  - The word also contains "auto" at the beginning, reflecting
    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Ian Sannar
Unison Studio (or just Unison for short) is pretty short. 3 syllables.
Unison is easy to pronounce (for an american anyway).
Unison is a common music term, and memorable.
Unison represents multiple things going together, which is what producing essentially is.

But I agree with DeRobyJ. If we're to rename anything, I think we should wait a while. If we ever switch to the single-window UI, that might be  a convenient time to change names. So, not anytime soon, lol.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Yea that's a good strategy to find a great name.
But you compared 3 different things:
- LMMS is a name hiding an acronym
- VLC is an acronym
- While Firefox is a name, or Open Tracks Studio is a name (and you may call it OTS, which is close to OST, Official Sound Track, so it's quite easy to remember too, I think)

I find VLC easy to remember thanks to its logo. I don't know why. Seriously. I may find one of those things on the highway and call it "a VLC".

Unison seems easy too (even tho I just had to read the mail again to read it)
But if we end calling it Unison Studio... well... it's "US".
Firefox isn't called "MF" tho...

Do you think we should first start a pull about having either a short name or a longer name with a good acronym?

Il 14/09/2015 18:21, Tres Finocchiaro ha scritto:
> [...]

    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Unison Studio (or just Unison for short) is pretty short. 3 syllables.

Unison is a nice word, but all too common in my opinion.  Perhaps there should be another bullet point for being unique (enough).

What about "Silas"?

It's a Greek-based word.  Most Latin-derived languages should be able to pronounce it with ease.  It is a boy's name which means "From the forest" and also has some biblical references, which I'd prefer to leave out in respect to people's beliefs.

There aren't any software products using the name either.

-Tres

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Do you think we should first start a pull about having either a short name or a longer name with a good acronym?

No.  We've been down this road too many times to start misleading people.  When the right name comes up, you'll know it (much like our logo).  When the time is right, the name will be liked by most everyone.

-Tres

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
I just came across the word "Dawsonite", which conveniently has the word "DAW" in it. :)  Just wanted to share.

Yes, this email thread is originally from 2010. :)  No, I don't think it's wise to rename the software, just food for thought. :)

noun An orthorhombic mineral, hydrous sodium aluminum carbonate, NaAlCO 3 (OH) 2, with a vitreous luster, occurring as white blade-shaped crystals: mined as an ore of aluminum.

-Tres

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Kevin <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
oh! I like Rob's suggestions!

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 09:40, Rob <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 05 August 2010 01:03, D.e.L. wrote:
> - Free Sound Foundry/Factory (F.S.F.) :D
> - Barrel Binary ( refer to Barrel Organ )

Well, as long as we're throwing out our LMMS naming ideas, here are mine.
I think I submitted them to one of the developers maybe a year ago, but
can't find the email now, just the text file I was keeping them in.  I
wonder if there's still a point, though, since Unison is a nice name and it
sounds like it'll make LMMS obsolete eventually.

"Autonomy", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - LMMS has always been more capable as an "all-in-one",
    self-contained tool than other programs like it
  - The word evokes independence and rugged individualism
  - The word also contains "auto" at the beginning, reflecting
    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Tres Finocchiaro
Another idea... Latido.

The Spanish translation is "Beat, throb".

It is a conjunction of the chord-learning solfeggio, i.e.
DO RE MI FA SO LA TI [DO]

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Also, for a short name such as Silas or Unison, an acronym is not necessary. Just remove the "studio" off the name for short.

I like Silas and Unison. Open Tracks Studio is too long. Latido sounds weird to me.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

If I were to choose between Unison and Silas, even tho I agree that Unison is too common, I would choose it.
Silas sounds a bit cacophonous (to use a Greek term) to me. But it might be just me.

The ending "s"is the problem: we "Latins" would all pronounce it differently to each other.
A Greek or I would say like "see-las" (with latin A like in "cat"), a Spanish might have a little different stess, while a French would say "see-là" (with a short "see" and a strong stress on the A).
So i don't really know... English words are ok to me, as long as there aren't to many diphthongs.

Wait. Do you say "Do re mi fa sol la ti Do" ? I always studied "sol la si do" (sound is "see" again).
We should search a bit on how do people do solfeggio...

But if we were to listen to all different Latin-derived pronunciations, we would never stop searching for names xD
But really, what do you think of these names used for global services, "Siri" and "Cortana"?

Il 14/09/2015 18:32, Tres Finocchiaro ha scritto:
[...]

Dave French
Latido sounds catchy to me

I often myself pronouncing LMMS as LMS, ~The extra M seems to make me stutter, but thats just me.

In regards to Unison, This is also the name of a Daw, although on first glance it has not been updated since jan 2014

I have proven a few times, that I fail at marketing, so I feel i am not man to ask about timming a rename, but I have no objections

On 14 September 2015 at 17:42, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

... Latido Music Studio?

Wait, how do you pronounce Latido?
Is it,
- la (like  in "later")
- ti (like in "teeth")
- Do (the note)
?

Il 14/09/2015 18:55, Dave French ha scritto:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

- Do (the note)  Dough, as in bread

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM, DeRobyJ <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Rob

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

In regards to Unison, This is also the name of a Daw, although on first glance it has not been updated since jan 2014
https://github.com/pgiblock/unison

FYI - That's the same pgiblock that helped write LMMS, BTW. :)

 if we were to listen to all different Latin-derived pronunciations, we would never stop searching for names xD

Agreed.

I agree that Unison is too common, I would choose it.

This could potentially be a problem if it causes users to sift through pages of search engine results to find us.

Wait, how do you pronounce Latido?

Believe it or not, in the US, you'll get many variations.

The word bares resemblance to "Latino", so many will say:
- La (like Lasagna)
- Ti (like in teeth)
- Do (like dough, as in bread)

The correct English pronunciation if this were an English word would be Dave's translation, but the US butchers most languages (including English) so we're not a great example.

Due to the lack of punctuation symbols in English, you'll get some strange emphasis variations between the "LA" and the "DI" as well.

-Tres

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Typo

*Due to the lack of punctuation symbols in English, you'll get some strange emphasis variations between the "LA" and the "TI" as well.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Is how a name is pronounced in various regions of the world important, as long as it is pronounceable

@Tres regarding unison, you have just reminded me how I stumbled upon it :)

On 14 September 2015 at 18:15, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

What about a Japanese or Korean name? Europeans and Americans usually don't have problems with those.
I don't know for Chinese users here.

For example, Muse is Myūzu in Japanese.
Myute?
Like, something is mute if it doesn't make sound. While the program makes sound...
Was just an example.

However the urban dictionary is biting me...

Il 14/09/2015 19:30, Dave French ha scritto:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Uroš Maravić
Why is this so important? I don't really care how this software will be called, when it crashes whenever I load a project with a controller over on the master branch.

Also, https://lmms.io was renewed for another 5 years, should we just throw that away? Not to mention that .io domains aren't exactly cheap.

-Uroš|Umcaruje

On 14 September 2015 at 19:30, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

    how much work LMMS does for the user

"Ambition", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - Ambition is a desirable quality for a musician, and is something
    LMMS will not stand in the way of, unlike some other tools
  - The word also sounds like "ambience" and "audition"

"Audibility", because
  - Like other popular Linux audio tools, it's an abstract noun
    starting with "A"
  - The word is a nice cross between "audio" and "ability"
  - It has one more syllable than "Audacity" but is still catchy ;)

"Freelance", because
  - It has "free" in the name
  - It has the connotation of independence and many musicians would
    describe themselves with it
  - It's not an abstract noun starting with A, if that bugged you

Best regards
Uroš

Re: [Lmms-users] New name for LMMS

Israel-28
Hi,
just change Linux to Libre
then it can prevent confusion and we don't have to change the name.
LMMS is becoming more well known, and I think completely changing the branding at this point is not beneficial.

Regards

12