Quantcast

Roadmap

1234

Roadmap

diiz
Since the release of 1.0.0 is (hopefully) getting closer, I'm wondering
if maybe we should compile a roadmap for future development plans. It
wouldn't need to be a 100% accurate, just some kind of general estimate
of what features we plan on implementing in what kind of estimated
schedule.

We could divide planned features in three categories: the next version,
the one after, and sometime in the future.

Re: Roadmap

Tobias Doerffel-2
Would it be sufficient to use milestones at Github for this?

Toby

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 04:11 PM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
> Would it be sufficient to use milestones at Github for this?

I just think it'd be convenient to gather all of it in one place (not
only because it'd be something we could reference when users ask "when
is ___ getting implemented"), and we could include things that may not
be necessary to include in github yet.

Re: Roadmap

Jonathan Aquilina

Milestones are ideal for this I think

On 03/03/2014 06:34 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> Milestones are ideal for this I think

They would need to be kept up-to-date.

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 07:03 PM, Vesa wrote:
> On 03/03/2014 06:34 PM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> Milestones are ideal for this I think
>>
> They would need to be kept up-to-date.

I'd be happy to assist in marking up the milestones for different
issues, if someone would enable me to do so.

Re: Roadmap

Tobias Doerffel-2
Hi,

don't you have permissions for that already?

Toby

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 10:20 PM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> don't you have permissions for that already?
>
> Toby

No, I don't seem to have.

Re: Roadmap

Tobias Doerffel-2
Added you to the "Core Developers" group - please try again.

Toby

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 10:24 PM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
> Added you to the "Core Developers" group - please try again.
>
> Toby

Yep, seems to be working now.

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 10:25 PM, Vesa wrote:
> On 03/03/2014 10:24 PM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
>> Added you to the "Core Developers" group - please try again.
>>
>> Toby
> Yep, seems to be working now.

On the subject of milestones... should we just rename the next milestone
to 1.1.0? Since we're already in March, it seems like the next release
after 1.0.0. would almost definitely fall on the next quarter, so the
next version will probably go straight to 1.1.0. instead of 1.0.1.

Re: Roadmap

Tobias Doerffel-2
Probably not a bad idea. I hope we have all release-critical issues
sorted out soon. 1.0.0 definitely should be released within the next 2
weeks!

Toby

Re: Roadmap

diiz
On 03/03/2014 11:41 PM, Tobias Doerffel wrote:
> Probably not a bad idea. I hope we have all release-critical issues
> sorted out soon. 1.0.0 definitely should be released within the next 2
> weeks!

Definitely - if we postpone it much more we're soon going to have to
skip right to 1.1.0 ;)

I'm now trying to mark all issues that seem to be "release critical" as
1.0.0 milestones - if I've made any errors there, if any seem like
things we can postpone for 1.1.0, feel free to correct me.

Re: Roadmap

Jonathan Aquilina

What about point releases?

On 03/04/2014 12:28 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> What about point releases?

What about them? I'm going by the version scheme that was agreed on
earlier.

x.y.z = year.quarter.increment, where 2014 = 1, and y and z are 0-based.
So as soon as we're in April, the version number bumps to 1.1.0.

Ok so, I changed the 1.0.1 milestone name to 1.1.0 since we most likely
won't have time to release any 1.0.1 (and even if we do it'll probably
be just a bugfix). I also updated the due date for 1.0.0 to 2 weeks from
now, that way we at least have some estimate of a release date again,
and a deadline that we can try to meet.

I'm starting to think though that we should just release on that date,
no matter if there are still some bugs, because it's better than
continuously postponing - we can always release a bugfix later, but the
release would satisfy users and packagers, and we're already in a much
more usable state than what 0.4.15 was.

Re: Roadmap

Jonathan Aquilina

What I mean is point releases for bug fixing

On 03/04/2014 12:40 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> What I mean is point releases for bug fixing

What about them?

Re: Roadmap

@Jon,

I think what Vesa is saying is those minor point releases will be released naturally, and are not necessarily part of any particular milestones, since the bugs that affect 1.0.0 haven't been identified yet.

There for it wouldn't make particular sense to set a bug fix milestone, as the critical bugs that fall into the bug fix releases will be resolved in quick enough time to never fall into a formal project timeline.  I hope I got that right. :)

-Tres

On Mar 3, 2014 5:40 PM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <[hidden email]> wrote:

What I mean is point releases for bug fixing

On 3 Mar 2014 22:37, "Vesa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/04/2014 12:28 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> What about point releases?

What about them? I'm going by the version scheme that was agreed on
earlier.

x.y.z = year.quarter.increment, where 2014 = 1, and y and z are 0-based.
So as soon as we're in April, the version number bumps to 1.1.0.

Ok so, I changed the 1.0.1 milestone name to 1.1.0 since we most likely
won't have time to release any 1.0.1 (and even if we do it'll probably
be just a bugfix). I also updated the due date for 1.0.0 to 2 weeks from
now, that way we at least have some estimate of a release date again,
and a deadline that we can try to meet.

I'm starting to think though that we should just release on that date,
no matter if there are still some bugs, because it's better than
continuously postponing - we can always release a bugfix later, but the
release would satisfy users and packagers, and we're already in a much
more usable state than what 0.4.15 was.

Re: Roadmap

Jonathan Aquilina
Ok I had a feeling I had a missing part of the puzzle, but here is some food for thought and the way Libreoffice operates.

They create a new branch in our case 1.0.0.

Then from there everything that is currently being set for 1.1.0 would be included in 1.0.1 up to 4 or 5 then the version number gets bumped. This is just something to ponder

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

@Jon,

I think what Vesa is saying is those minor point releases will be released naturally, and are not necessarily part of any particular milestones, since the bugs that affect 1.0.0 haven't been identified yet.

There for it wouldn't make particular sense to set a bug fix milestone, as the critical bugs that fall into the bug fix releases will be resolved in quick enough time to never fall into a formal project timeline.  I hope I got that right. :)

-Tres

On Mar 3, 2014 5:40 PM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <[hidden email]> wrote:

What I mean is point releases for bug fixing

On 3 Mar 2014 22:37, "Vesa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/04/2014 12:28 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> What about point releases?

What about them? I'm going by the version scheme that was agreed on
earlier.

x.y.z = year.quarter.increment, where 2014 = 1, and y and z are 0-based.
So as soon as we're in April, the version number bumps to 1.1.0.

Ok so, I changed the 1.0.1 milestone name to 1.1.0 since we most likely
won't have time to release any 1.0.1 (and even if we do it'll probably
be just a bugfix). I also updated the due date for 1.0.0 to 2 weeks from
now, that way we at least have some estimate of a release date again,
and a deadline that we can try to meet.

I'm starting to think though that we should just release on that date,
no matter if there are still some bugs, because it's better than
continuously postponing - we can always release a bugfix later, but the
release would satisfy users and packagers, and we're already in a much
more usable state than what 0.4.15 was.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Roadmap

Tobias Doerffel-2
That is if you follow the development / stable branches principle. I
think we decided to not follow it and instead push out releases as
often as possible. Even though we didn't manage it so far (probably
because "1.0.0" is just something so important that we don't want to
rush too much) I'm confident that we will release at least once a
month in the future - with bugfixes and new features each release.

Toby

1234