Roadmap to 1.2

12

Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
There have been some rumblings of "when will 1.2 be released?"

This is a valid question as our initial goal -- to have Zyn 2.5 ready for the 1.2 -- release put us behind a bit more than expected and has allowed some new features to make it in (good, bad or indifferent).

The short answer is:  We can release 1.2 anytime and now is a good time to start the release candidate process.

So what's needed to get us to an R.C. build?

  • We have 24 pull requests that need to be decided if they go in prior to 1.2 or in the next release.
  • We have 29 bug reports tagged "1.2" that need to be decided if they in prior to 1.2 or in the next release.
  • Once ~53 items are decided, we need to merge forward any 1.1. bugfixes to master that never made it in.
  • Once merged/fixed/decided, we need to branch master into a stable-1.2 branch
    • master will continue to receive new features
    • stable-1.2 will only receive bug-fixes
  • We release a 1.2 release candidate.  We back-version these.  The version will be:
    • RC1 - 1.1.90
    • RC2 - 1.1.91
    • RC3 - 1.1.92
    • RC4 - 1.1.93

    • Note:  For those using pre-packaged versions (Windows, Apple) to help report bugs, the downloads will appear on our downloads page as prerelease versions (the download buttons will be yellow rather than blue).

    • Note:  For those not using pre-packaged versions (Linux, BSD) you'll need to compile the stable-1.2 branch by hand.
  • Once we're at a time where 1.2 is stable enough for a release, we publish to Facebook, Google+ and our front page.
How can you help?
  • A good starting point is to help make decisions on the pull requests and bug reports by reading them.
  • Help find bug reports that need to be marked as 1.2 but haven't yet.  Don't have access to tag a bug?  Just comment and an admin will do it for.
  • We don't have much promotionally for the 1.2 release yet.  Here's a list of features, if you have the capacity to make some propaganda.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Dave French
Just my initial thoughts

Of the 29 open issues marked for 1.2 , 11 are feature feature requests, What are opinions on these being moved to 1.3?

There are a lot of ux/gui issues also on the list. At present there is a lot of progress in this area. We could possibly decide what ones are critical to this release, and then concentrate the majority of the gui.ux improvements into the next release, as this could give maximum impact to users, some of these issues maybe mute, with the current improvements in progress.

Pull requests, I will do my best to comment on all the open pull requests over the next few days.

Are any of our current Devs confident with the git procedures needed to sync changes in 1.1 in Master, or should I look into whats required for this?

On 13 September 2015 at 16:46, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Diego Rodrigues

As a Hardcore LMMS user I would love to see (hear) performance improvements. Sure gui is nice, sure ux is important. But having a rock solid sound engine is top priority. And I think it's time to be able to do some audio editing in LMMS. Like eg Ardour. But that's just my opinion :)

Verzonden door TypeMail

Op 13 sep. 2015, bij 19:57, Dave French <[hidden email]> schreef:
[...]

This isn't a wish list, this is a roadmap to a stable-1.2.

"Rock solid sound engine" is a sensationally sounding concept (no pun intended) but is an kind way to say performance sucks... We know this.

The 1.2 branch has seen help from a fresh set of talented, busy and driven developers -- ones that have taken incremental steps to familiarize with our codebase and start identifying the steps necessary to make it scalable and stable for years to come.  Performance is part of these incremental steps.

We are all volunteers. Please help where you can to move us forward.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Dave French
Tres

Having spent some time today reading through our open pull requests, we appear to have a growing list, many have requests for contributors to make changes, and the are a few with unconcluded conversations.

I recently listened to a blender podcast, where they spoke of a similar situation. The solution they have chosen is to have virtual meetings, where it is discussed what can be done to move each pull request on. Some may need closing, until the contributor address the issues. If the needed changes are minor a possibility could be a regular contributor finishes of the needed changes, allowing completion.  Maybe if a few of us were to discuss each pull request together we could come to some conclusions.

I am aware this is not the normal way for lmms, but maybe it could help with progress as some of these pull requests are months old.

The above is just a suggestion.

On 13 September 2015 at 22:43, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

This isn't a wish list, this is a roadmap to a stable-1.2.

"Rock solid sound engine" is a sensationally sounding concept (no pun intended) but is an kind way to say performance sucks... We know this.

The 1.2 branch has seen help from a fresh set of talented, busy and driven developers -- ones that have taken incremental steps to familiarize with our codebase and start identifying the steps necessary to make it scalable and stable for years to come.  Performance is part of these incremental steps.

We are all volunteers. Please help where you can to move us forward.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

midi-pascal
Not to be pretentious but my contribution to enhance the Lmms translation in the code and improve the French translation does not show up in the Languages/Locale part of the Features and fixes.
I know I am not a regular contributor but this has been a not-so-easy job ;-)

On 15-09-13 11:46 AM, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
[...]

@midi-pascal, please bump the bug report or PR and an admin will add it to the listing.  I believe the latest Japanese translations missed the list too.  Catch any more, just let us know.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

musikbear
I think there is many more features already implemented in current Master, but are those the one you suggest should not be in the RC?
-Just to mention one.
*Piano-roll
New right-click-menu-option on any semitone to mark all notes on this semitone

-Or is that just one that was forgotten in this list ?

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
New right-click-menu-option on any semitone to mark all notes on this semitone

Done, thanks.

    * Marking Piano Roll semitones marks on all octaves (#2193)

In addition, I'd like to bring some attention to some overlooked bugs...

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2023
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2378

Both bugs destroy usability for the master branch and can prevent the team from providing an RC release (these cause deadlocks in normal usage, making the software unusable).

We may have other bugs that break usability, but these have been escalated through the #lmms IRC channel.  If you know of others, make sure they get escalated properly (either through email, github or IRC).

The bugs listed above seemed to be introduced with some changes in the way we do mutex locking within patterns and can be reproduced every time. If the bugs cannot be fixed, we will be in a bad posion for the 1.2 release as we'll need to revert the lock code back to a stable state, affecting over a dozen files and over 120 lines of code.

If someone with experiencing (or ambition) resolving mutex deadlocks and multi-threading can step in, please chime in on one of the appropriate channels.

-Tres

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:51 AM, musikbear <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think there is many more features already implemented in current Master,
but are those the one you suggest should not be in the RC?
-Just to mention one. /
*Piano-roll
New right-click-menu-option on any semitone to mark all notes on this
semitone/

-Or is that just one that was forgotten in this list ?

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
Update:

We need to stabilize the master branch prior to an RC1 release.  Here's the most recent status:
  • We have 10 (previously 24) pull requests that need to be decided if they go in prior to 1.2 or in the next release.
  • We have 28 (previously 29) bug reports tagged "1.2" that need to be decided if they in prior to 1.2 or in the next release.
  • Once ~38 items are decided, we need to merge forward any 1.1. bugfixes to master that never made it in.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Raine M. Ekman
Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:
>    - Once ~38 items are decided, we need to merge forward any 1.1. bugfixes
>    to master that never made it in.

Looks to me like that's just the Ukrainian translation. It's the only
thing that's happened in stable-1.1 since it was merged into master in
June.

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
> Looks to me like that's just the Ukrainian translation. It's the only
thing that's happened in stable-1.1 since it was merged into master in
June.

Thanks!  A similar commit for Aug 14th appears in master (3 days after the stable-1.1 commit) so we should be good.

-Tres

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Raine M. Ekman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:
>    - Once ~38 items are decided, we need to merge forward any 1.1. bugfixes
>    to master that never made it in.

Looks to me like that's just the Ukrainian translation. It's the only
thing that's happened in stable-1.1 since it was merged into master in
June.

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
So 1.2's still suffering from serious stability issues.

These stability issues are causing the delay of a release candidate (e.g. 1.2.0 RC1) and they will continue to do so until we can fix them.
  • Some of these stability issues were introduced by developers who are no longer active on the project, which means we are stuck either 1. Fixing them or 2. Reverting them.

  • For the sake of keeping the long list of improvements around in 1.2, we should try our hardest to avoid repeating history... From what I was told... back in the 0.4.x days, a similar stability problem plagued the master branch.  The branch became so unstable that the changes to master were shelved, and 1.0.0 was forked from the 0.4 stable source code.  It would be a huge step backwards if we were to shelve the master branch due to these stability issues.
The admins on GitHub have been helping organize the critical bugs into the 1.2 milestone for those capable and willing to help.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks to me like that's just the Ukrainian translation. It's the only
thing that's happened in stable-1.1 since it was merged into master in
June.

Thanks!  A similar commit for Aug 14th appears in master (3 days after the stable-1.1 commit) so we should be good.

-Tres

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Raine M. Ekman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:
>    - Once ~38 items are decided, we need to merge forward any 1.1. bugfixes
>    to master that never made it in.

Looks to me like that's just the Ukrainian translation. It's the only
thing that's happened in stable-1.1 since it was merged into master in
June.

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Amadeus Folego
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 02:31:32PM -0400, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
> So 1.2's still suffering from serious stability issues.
>
> These stability issues are causing the delay of a release candidate (e.g. 1.2.0
> RC1) and they will continue to do so until we can fix them.
>
>   • Some of these stability issues were introduced by developers who are no
>     longer active on the project, which means we are stuck either 1. Fixing
>     them or 2. Reverting them.

Tres, are any of these caused by me? If so, let me know.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
@Amadeus,

Hi, I hope all is well.

None that I am aware of were caused by you, thank you for inquiring.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Amadeus Folego <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 02:31:32PM -0400, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
> So 1.2's still suffering from serious stability issues.
>
> These stability issues are causing the delay of a release candidate (e.g. 1.2.0
> RC1) and they will continue to do so until we can fix them.
>
>   • Some of these stability issues were introduced by developers who are no
>     longer active on the project, which means we are stuck either 1. Fixing
>     them or 2. Reverting them.

Tres, are any of these caused by me? If so, let me know.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
A status update, since it's been a couple weeks...

Although most people reading this email didn't directly cause these stability problems, we need help fixing them.  I

If we're unable to fix them, we'll be forced to archive the master branch and start over on stable-1.1.

This same stability problem happened a few years ago with the 0.4.x branch.

If you can help stabilize master and fix these bugs, please do. It would be a shame to have to shelve all of the hard work since 1.1 was released.

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

musikbear
dk if this info can help
I got a binary for win 32 at
july 12. 15
lmms-master12july15win32.exe
It is stable
Unfortunate it is not version marked, but i believe it was curlydave's
If at all this info can be used to anything, i will try and go back in my history and find the exact conversation -Maybe  dave also remember .. ?
But can you/lmms use this info -eg that at 12. july lmms was stable -at all?

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Tres Finocchiaro
Status update...

We've have very minor progress since our last email, but on the bright side, #2378 (BBEditor hard crash) has been closed. (Thanks Lukas-W)

Our major bugs before a release candidate are:
  • #2318 - ControllerView causes hard crash
  • #2315 - Clicking presets causes hard crash
  • #2269 - Zyn "Engine::" namespace causes hard crash
Until these are resolved a release candidate wouldn't be useful for testing.

If you have the capacity to help, chime in on the relevant bug please.

1.2 isn't lost, just on hold... here's a reminder of what we have to look forward to in 1.2.

Best regards,

Scratch that, just merged #2456. https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/pull/2456

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: Roadmap to 1.2

Raine M. Ekman
Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:
> 1.2 isn't lost, just on hold... here's a reminder of what we have to look
> forward to in 1.2
> <https://github.com/tresf/lmms/wiki/1.2-features-(snapshot-from-Sept-13,-2015)>

Well, the MIDI export mentioned might need quite a bit of care and
attention to be release worthy. Now it's so far off target that I
wouldn't call it a feature just yet.
(https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2384)

Next up for me is correct MIDI pitch bend import
(https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1967) but after that, I might
take my blunt instrument to that export plugin. Both issues are
related to the data structures used in a Song, so they might be
surprisingly similar.

softrabbit on #lmms

12