Solved: Re: Playback problem in new version - 26th october

Solved: Re: Playback problem in new version - 26th october

Riki Slugic

I'm thankful for the prompt reply which led me to solve the situation. I'm using the machine only for audio production and didn't realize the problem was elsewhere: still don't know exactly why but reconfiguring jack, reinstalling the kernel, having a little package cleanup (solved a broken dependency with zynaddsubfx, this probably, or the jack reconfig. tough before didn't bother) solved it.

I greatly prise the work of the development team, I think its really amazing, as with the new versions the program is visibly improving in usability and quality!

In this respect I can just share my experience: I am not good enough of a programmer to give any real contribution but love using extensively the arpeggio module which is rapidly evolving, (very nice the last contributions btw!!). What I do is to add to the array of hard coded arpeggio sequences the ones I need and use the function as a sort of additional notes machine, similar to the beat and bass one.

If I had the means I would maybe add the possibility of editing patterns through the program (this is the reason I started compiling and inspecting the code), who knows, maybe adding the capacity to edit the single notes, their length and velocity...

On 27 Oct 2016 16:48, "Riki Slugic" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, i'm regularly pulling and compiling the code and in this new version (haven't compiled uploads since last week tough, might be in some previous release) all the projects im playing live have problems - seems like can't cope with elaborating information and the sound gets scattered.

Is it only me with this issue?

Congratulations for the awesome effort!
R.

Re: Solved: Re: Playback problem in new version - 26th october

Oskar Wallgren
Thanks for the feedback!

I am not good enough of a programmer to give any real contribution...

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. I didn't know much programming at all when I submitted my first code to LMMS. It's complex, yes, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it you may find that just a bit of patience will take you a long way.

but love using extensively the arpeggio module which is rapidly evolving, (very nice the last contributions btw!!). What I do is to add to the array of hard coded arpeggio sequences the ones I need and use the function as a sort of additional notes machine, similar to the beat and bass one

This works if you add your new arpeggios/chords to the end of the ChordTable.

Here's the issue for user added scales:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/241
Issue for new arpeggio functions:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/2080

You are welcome to add your thoughts there.

If I had the means I would maybe add the possibility of editing patterns through the program (this is the reason I started compiling and inspecting the code), who knows, maybe adding the capacity to edit the single notes, their length and velocity...

I had the idea a while back to add a function to 'expand' BBTracks and arpeggiated lines to an ordinary Instrument Track for further editing. It's not precisely what you're describing. I think I'll add that to the issue tracker.

PS. Don't miss the forum. It's probably the best place to get help on using LMMS as it has more active users than the mailing list:
https://lmms.io/forum/index.php