Sound Processing References/Course

Amadeus Folego
Hello Friends from the LMMS community.

I want to understand and learn techniques for sound processing
that are important for an application like LMMS.

Could you share references, textbooks or online courses that may help
me?

So far I have found this course, what do you think?

https://www.coursera.org/course/audio

Thanks, Amadeus.

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Dave French
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Programming-Book-Richard-Boulanger/dp/0262014467

This is my goto book, it's pack full of information, and the DVD contains loads of extra chapters.

It starts with a chapter on c and builds from there. I have 2 issues with this book, It's index and contents pages are incomplete. Also each chapter seems to be written separately, with little context to the rest of the book.

This is one of the books im currently reading. As the title suggests it about Audio effects.  I Feel this book can explain things a little clearer,if simplified. This book is aimed at writing plugins using the authors own windows only software in c++ that can be converted to vst. The theory is relevant, but the code examples a little less so,(The dps code is relevant, the ui,controls and api are less so).

I had a read and a watch of the video in the course you linked

It looks like it's based mainly on the Fourier transform. This looks like a course on analysis and synthesis. Im not sure how relevant this would be to maintain a DAW.

Im yet to find any complete texts aimed at Daw writing, I am not surprised at this, because there are probably only a few hundred devs working on Full Daw applications world wide.

On 5 February 2015 at 17:22, Amadeus Folego <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Friends from the LMMS community.

I want to understand and learn techniques for sound processing
that are important for an application like LMMS.

Could you share references, textbooks or online courses that may help
me?

So far I have found this course, what do you think?

https://www.coursera.org/course/audio

Thanks, Amadeus.

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Tres Finocchiaro
It looks like it's based mainly on the Fourier transform.

Most probably already know this but we use the FFTW library (http://www.fftw.org/) in our software for SWH plugins as well as Zyn synth.

-Tres

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Dave French <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Found a free book on signal processing as well:

http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

Also gonna check these references today, thanks!

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 09:16:17PM +0000, Dave French wrote:

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Programming-Book-Richard-Boulanger/dp/0262014467
>
> This is my goto book, it's pack full of information, and the DVD contains loads
> of extra chapters.
>
> It starts with a chapter on c and builds from there. I have 2 issues with this
> book, It's index and contents pages are incomplete. Also each chapter seems to
> be written separately, with little context to the rest of the book.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Audio-Effect-Plug-Ins-Processing/dp/
> 0240825152/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423169445&sr=1-1&keywords=
> designing+audio+effect+plug-ins+in+c%2B%2B+with+digital+audio+signal+processing+theory
>
> This is one of the books im currently reading. As the title suggests it about
> Audio effects.  I Feel this book can explain things a little clearer,if
> simplified. This book is aimed at writing plugins using the authors own windows
> only software in c++ that can be converted to vst. The theory is relevant, but
> the code examples a little less so,(The dps code is relevant, the ui,controls
> and api are less so).
>
> I had a read and a watch of the video in the course you linked
> https://www.coursera.org/course/audio
>
> It looks like it's based mainly on the Fourier transform. This looks like a
> course on analysis and synthesis. Im not sure how relevant this would be
> to maintain a DAW.
>
> Im yet to find any complete texts aimed at Daw writing, I am not surprised at
> this, because there are probably only a few hundred devs working on Full Daw
> applications world wide.
>

> On 5 February 2015 at 17:22, Amadeus Folego <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hello Friends from the LMMS community.
>
>     I want to understand and learn techniques for sound processing
>     that are important for an application like LMMS.
>
>     Could you share references, textbooks or online courses that may help
>     me?
>
>     So far I have found this course, what do you think?
>
>     https://www.coursera.org/course/audio
>
>     Thanks, Amadeus.

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Marcin Nowak
It is worth visiting http://musicdsp.org/archive.php .
There are implementations of many common effects/filters/generators as well as one can find there some DSP theory.

Enjoy!

Found a free book on signal processing as well:

http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

Also gonna check these references today, thanks!

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 09:16:17PM +0000, Dave French wrote:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Programming-Book-Richard-Boulanger/dp/0262014467
>
> This is my goto book, it's pack full of information, and the DVD contains loads
> of extra chapters.
>
> It starts with a chapter on c and builds from there. I have 2 issues with this
> book, It's index and contents pages are incomplete. Also each chapter seems to
> be written separately, with little context to the rest of the book.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Audio-Effect-Plug-Ins-Processing/dp/
> 0240825152/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423169445&sr=1-1&keywords=
> designing+audio+effect+plug-ins+in+c%2B%2B+with+digital+audio+signal+processing+theory
>
> This is one of the books im currently reading. As the title suggests it about
> Audio effects.  I Feel this book can explain things a little clearer,if
> simplified. This book is aimed at writing plugins using the authors own windows
> only software in c++ that can be converted to vst. The theory is relevant, but
> the code examples a little less so,(The dps code is relevant, the ui,controls
> and api are less so).
>
> I had a read and a watch of the video in the course you linked
> https://www.coursera.org/course/audio
>
> It looks like it's based mainly on the Fourier transform. This looks like a
> course on analysis and synthesis. Im not sure how relevant this would be
> to maintain a DAW.
>
> Im yet to find any complete texts aimed at Daw writing, I am not surprised at
> this, because there are probably only a few hundred devs working on Full Daw
> applications world wide.
>

> On 5 February 2015 at 17:22, Amadeus Folego <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Hello Friends from the LMMS community.
>
>     I want to understand and learn techniques for sound processing
>     that are important for an application like LMMS.
>
>     Could you share references, textbooks or online courses that may help
>     me?
>
>     So far I have found this course, what do you think?
>
>     https://www.coursera.org/course/audio
>
>     Thanks, Amadeus.

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Amadeus Folego
I found a really, really nice guide on LV2 that also shows some
sound processing stuff:

http://www.nongnu.org/ll-plugins/lv2pftci/#A_completely_idiotic_plugin

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Tres Finocchiaro
That article is really good!

In case that link every changes, here's a PDF backup of the article (8MB)

There is a disclaimer at the top about the revision 2 vs. 3 of the liblv2-gui.  Is that of concern?

-Tres

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 08:53:42AM -0500, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
> There is a disclaimer at the top about the revision 2 vs. 3 of the liblv2-gui.
> Is that of concern?

Yes, it does not work anymore, :-).

This is the updated version: http://lv2plug.in/book/

The examples are really cool, a real hands-on approach, I can't really
learn without getting my hands dirty.

Actually following these examples I got a lot of how LMMS works
internally and architectural needs for a RT-capable DAW.

Re: Sound Processing References/Course

Dave French
harry haaren also has some good blog posts worth a read.

have a dig around on his 2 sites. There is stuff on RT audio and mixers that is probably relevant to LMMS

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 03:57:38PM +0000, Dave French wrote:
> harry haaren also has some good blog posts worth a read.
>
> http://harryhaaren.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/blog-status-moved-not-dead.html
> http://openavproductions.com/
>
> have a dig around on his 2 sites. There is stuff on RT audio and mixers that is
> probably relevant to LMMS

Yeah, I've been following his posts pretty closely ever since.

They're pretty good!