Upgrade from LMMS .0.4.13

International Giant
I have LMMS Version 0.4.13 and important issues to ask you about:

- What is the LATEST version of LMMS for Windopws 64 Bit?

- I want to upgrade to latest LMMS Version.  Will all my saved work in the LMMS program I am currently using default into the new version upon downloading?

- If I download the newer LMMS version, will it recognize the old one I already have installed and upgrade it without affecting the work I have saved in the older version?

- Will saved work in my older version of LMMS automatically transfer into the latest version?

Thank You

Re: Upgrade from LMMS .0.4.13

Tres Finocchiaro

Upgrades currently are not supported by our installer.

A full uninstall and reinstall is recommended whenever going to the latest version.

Your saved tracks and saved setting will still work, but some tracks will sound different or wrong depending on which effects and instruments are used.

If additional work needs to be done on old 0.4.x  tracks and you are unable to reproduce the same sounds, you may need to downgrade using a similar technique of uninstall and reinstall.

As with any project, you should regularly backup your files.

Re: Upgrade from LMMS .0.4.13

Tres Finocchiaro
Side-by-side installations are currently not supported by the product, although many people do exactly as you describe.

Some caveats:

- The two versions will attempt to share the same config file.  This file is located at <HOME>/.lmmsrc.xml.  Most attributes in this config remained the same from 0.4.x to 1.1.x, but you may expect some strange behavior.

- On windows platforms, the two versions will share the same registry settings.  This means the control panel will install over 0.4.x with the latest version but your Add/Remove programs area will incorrectly list 0.4.x as the installed version.

- Double-clicking projects will attempt to open with the latest version each time.

- The theme location may need to be reset each time the software is launched.  Newer versions reset to a sane-theme versions automatically but this feature wasn't present in the 0.4.x branch.

This all assumes you make the somewhat obvious decision to install to a different location so that you don't completely overwrite the old version of the software.

If running Windows, there exists something known as "Portable LMMS" which may help to circumvent these limitations, but the portable installer is not supported by the LMMS team, so you will have to use at your own risk.

If you are not running Windows, then running two versions simultaneously may require some additional work to get installed side-by-side.  On Linux, you may need to compile from source so that you can run from a custom location.

All that said, many people have successfully run two versions, but it is strongly advised against for the non-advanced user.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:21 PM, International Giant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you so much, Tres!

May I ask you a few more?

- Can I install the latest version and maintain the older version, using them independently from one another; in other words, downloading the new one will not affect the old version I already have installed in any way?  There will be a new LMMS icon/program installed, along with the older LMMS version that already exists in my computer?

-  assuming the previous question isn't a negative, can I also export/migrate tracks of my choice from the old version to the new version of LMMS at random, once I install the new version, to see what they sound like inside the new version, without affecting my original installation/files that I am exporting from the old version?

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

In regards to the second question about "exporting/migrating tracks", the migration (which is more like an upgrade) is done automatically on project open, but changes aren't saved until you manually re-save the file.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Upgrades currently are not supported by our installer.

A full uninstall and reinstall is recommended whenever going to the latest version.

Your saved tracks and saved setting will still work, but some tracks will sound different or wrong depending on which effects and instruments are used.

If additional work needs to be done on old 0.4.x  tracks and you are unable to reproduce the same sounds, you may need to downgrade using a similar technique of uninstall and reinstall.

As with any project, you should regularly backup your files.

Re: Upgrade from LMMS .0.4.13

> although I realize personal preference has a lot to do with it, is the newest LMMS version that much better than 0.4.13 or fairly similar?

1.1.x is much better and 1.2.x will be even better than that.   This qualitative "opinion" is only true if the features gained by upgrading benefit you as a musician.

For example...
- The time you have invested into your existing tracks is worth something.
- The time to fix the tracks to play with 1.1.x is worth something.

For some people the good outweighs the bad. In almost all cases, this is a measurable benchmark.  For those that value their time that much may decide to stick with 0.4.x until a feature they need shows up.  They may instead decide to invest their time into a DAW which is less prone to compatibility issues (or pick one which suffers fewer stability and performance problems).

Since most LMMS users have chosen low cost as the driving force behind DAW selection, most upgrade between projects to remain current and to help improve the software through bug reports, tutorials, sharing projects.

In terms of personal preference.... This is often influenced by items such as look and feel.  Hopefully this isn't a some decoding factor as  under the covers there have been enough improvements to warrant an upgrade.

The release notes spell out what's been done to make the software better.  You'll likely find your answer buried inside the list of fixes and features.

P.S.  Hit reply-all to keep the mailing list on copy of responses.