Quantcast

ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Johannes Lorenz
Hi,

if there would be ZynAddSubFX in Qt, there would be two variants:
1. Put the UI into the MainWindow (this was not possible with FLTK). The UI will be large (Probably one large MDI window), so it might make sense to maximize it inside LMMS, like you can do it with the piano roll.
2. Open a new window for the synth.

What would you prefer? What is more handy?

The question is interesting because internal windows would imply using threads for the different ZynAddSubFX instruments. External windows would also allow processes.

Regards,
Johannes

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

diiz

#1 definitely, whenever I use Zyn currently the windows are constantly
losing focus and hiding behind the LMMS window, unless I pin them up in
which case they're constantly in the way... so I usually have to resort
to putting them on another workspace, which doesn't work all that well
either.

Having them inside the LMMS main window would be best IMO.

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Tobiasz Karoń
I'm not sure about this. The LMMS's internal window hurricane can get out of control already - adding all the ZynAddSubFX windows into this could make it even worse.
Unless you're talking about closing all Zyn-related windows inside a "ZynAddSubFX editor" window preventing them to reach out and mix with instrument windows inside LMMS and all the effects and stuff..

2014/1/20 Vesa <[hidden email]>
On 01/20/2014 08:26 PM, Johannes Lorenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if there would be ZynAddSubFX in Qt, there would be two variants:
> 1. Put the UI into the MainWindow (this was not possible with FLTK). The UI will be large (Probably one large MDI window), so it might make sense to maximize it inside LMMS, like you can do it with the piano roll.
> 2. Open a new window for the synth.
>
> What would you prefer? What is more handy?
>
> The question is interesting because internal windows would imply using threads for the different ZynAddSubFX instruments. External windows would also allow processes.

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Johannes Lorenz
> I'm not sure about this. The LMMS's internal window hurricane can get out of control already - adding all the ZynAddSubFX windows into this could make it even worse.
> Unless you're talking about closing all Zyn-related windows inside a "ZynAddSubFX editor" window preventing them to reach out and mix with instrument windows inside LMMS and all the effects and stuff..

Ah, yes, either in- or external, there will always be one enclosing window, which will have an MDI window for subwindows. So no, there will not spawn ten new windows into LMMS ;)

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Tres Finocchiaro
Slightly off-topic...

Does QT allow the type of "docking" that's prevalent in other DAWs?  The CTRL+TABing that's required to get between piano roll and instrument knobs is extremely difficult to work with.  Minimizing them *should* work, but never does in an MDI.

Secondly, does QT allow a "use both monitors" option?  I find myself having a hard time doing the MDI thing properly. I simply run out of real-estate.

-Tres

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Johannes Lorenz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure about this. The LMMS's internal window hurricane can get out of control already - adding all the ZynAddSubFX windows into this could make it even worse.
> Unless you're talking about closing all Zyn-related windows inside a "ZynAddSubFX editor" window preventing them to reach out and mix with instrument windows inside LMMS and all the effects and stuff..

Ah, yes, either in- or external, there will always be one enclosing window, which will have an MDI window for subwindows. So no, there will not spawn ten new windows into LMMS ;)

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Tobiasz Karoń

We could resort to the divideable space concept of Blender I've been writing about before. The early Blender code with it's screen system was released lately.

Maybe if the resizeable windows worked this with others on top it could save some time. Also a floating window-managing panel could be made where all these could be hidden/shows and closed. Like a task panel in any OS.

On 20 Jan 2014 20:26, "Tres Finocchiaro" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Slightly off-topic...

Does QT allow the type of "docking" that's prevalent in other DAWs?  The CTRL+TABing that's required to get between piano roll and instrument knobs is extremely difficult to work with.  Minimizing them *should* work, but never does in an MDI.

Secondly, does QT allow a "use both monitors" option?  I find myself having a hard time doing the MDI thing properly. I simply run out of real-estate.

-Tres

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Johannes Lorenz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure about this. The LMMS's internal window hurricane can get out of control already - adding all the ZynAddSubFX windows into this could make it even worse.
> Unless you're talking about closing all Zyn-related windows inside a "ZynAddSubFX editor" window preventing them to reach out and mix with instrument windows inside LMMS and all the effects and stuff..

Ah, yes, either in- or external, there will always be one enclosing window, which will have an MDI window for subwindows. So no, there will not spawn ten new windows into LMMS ;)

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Shane Ambler-5
On 21/01/2014 05:56, Tres Finocchiaro wrote:
> Slightly off-topic...

> Secondly, does QT allow a "use both monitors" option?  I find myself
> having a hard time doing the MDI thing properly. I simply run out of
> real-estate.

There should be nothing stopping you from having the lmms window span
multiple monitors. Maximising the main window may only expand it to fit
one monitor but you can place the window in the corner and manually
expand it across both monitors.

Re: ZynAddSubFX in internal window?

Johannes Lorenz
To summarize what has been said in this post: If there'd be a port of ZynAddSubFX to Qt, it would be a subwindow inside LMMS (inside like e.g. the B&B editor is a subwindow). Inside this ZASF window, we'd have an MDI area with all ZASF subwindows, so they'd be encapsulated.

I'd like to ask something more here. Whenever you click on a track with an instrument right now, you get a small window with "PLUGIN", "ENV/LFO", "FUNC", "FX", "MIDI". Should the mentioned ZASF main window be equal to the "PLUGIN" window, or should it be started from there (with a button, like it is now)?

If both windows were equal, we'd save one window. However, some ppl (including me?) might be confused by the new large window that opens immediately. What do you think?