discussion of default workflow : form-focus

discussion of default workflow : form-focus

musikbear
Take a look at this:
http://youtu.be/2xQIJ3EHV8M
I sugest this for presets, in the video, but i Went for coffe as this was in 'processing', and it hit me, that ALL windows should have this behavior. ALL should be default 'stay-up'. This would be better for workflow on all forms, especially the deeper the pop-sequence happens to be (controls on ladspa f.i)
If all was changed, it would also be dead simple to have a toggle-button on Settings, to toggle between old, and this new proposal of form behavior - Nothing lost -all gained

-now, hate me :p

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

Stian Jørgensrud
I hate you, not. I don't think windows should "always-stay-open" by default, the OS (Windows) doesn't do it. As you demonstrate in your video when you click on the instrument plugin track name in the Song Editor the user most likely want to view the instrument plugin window more than closing it, so you could propose a behavior where the instrument plugin window is brought to the foreground when it is covered by another window, and only closed (by clicking on the instrument plugin track name) when no other window is covering it.

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

musikbear
Yes, that is also a posibillity, i just thought that a toggle between 'all' or 'none' would preseve old behavior, for those who like that (if any:)
The 'problem' gets more annoying the deeper we go into the possible form-cascade. The forms for ladspa-settings are smal, and they hardly 'block' anything signifcant on the main-form, but  they ofcause also 'disapear' under main-form. I have also found another work-flow peculiarity, but that goes directly to tracker
This... 'discussion' has limited perticipation :P
Does that mean that no one give squat about this?

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

Tres Finocchiaro
@musikbear,

How about we strike a deall... You do the research to find the QT window hint setting that makes this default for all MDI windows created and then open a bug report on it, and then we file a proper bug report against it... :)

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM, musikbear <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that is also a posibillity, i just thought that a toggle between 'all'
or 'none' would preseve old behavior, for those who like that (if any:)
The 'problem' gets more annoying the deeper we go into the possible
form-cascade. The forms for ladspa-settings are smal, and they hardly
'block' anything signifcant on the main-form, but  they ofcause also
'disapear' under main-form. I have also found another work-flow peculiarity,
but that goes directly to tracker
/This/... 'discussion' has limited perticipation :P
Does that mean that no one give squat about this?

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

Stian Jørgensrud
musikbear wrote
This... 'discussion' has limited perticipation :P
Does that mean that no one give squat about this?
Probably not. People just don't like to talk too much when someone else have said approximately what they meant. I don't blame them, it is hard/impossible to decide anything by mailing back and forth if all 20 people are going to have their say.

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

Raine M. Ekman
Quoting musikbear <[hidden email]>:

> Take a look at this:
> http://youtu.be/2xQIJ3EHV8M
> I sugest this for presets, in the video, but i Went for coffe as this was in
> 'processing', and it hit me, that ALL windows should have /this/ behavior.
> ALL should be default 'stay-up'. This would be better for workflow on all
> forms, especially the /deeper/ the pop-sequence happens to be (controls on
> ladspa f.i)

Possibly. I'm happy with right-clicking the title bar of a window and
selecting "stay on top" if I need that.

> If all was changed, it would also be dead simple to have a toggle-button on
> /Settings/, to toggle between old, and /this/ new proposal of form behavior

It could work. If all windows were to have the "stay on top" behavior
as default, you'd just have to select manually which one(s) you want
to send to the bottom instead.

Quoting Stian Jørgensrud <[hidden email]>:
> so
> you could propose a behavior where the instrument plugin window is brought
> to the foreground when it is covered by another window, and only closed (by
> clicking on the instrument plugin track name) when no other window is
> covering it.

I second this idea, and it would fit in as it's the same behavior the
editor windows have already.

Quoting musikbear <[hidden email]>:
> /This/... 'discussion' has limited perticipation :P
> Does that mean that no one give squat about this?

I know I don't give many squats. But that's not why I limit my
participation. I just hate videos that could usually be replaced with
a few lines of readable, quotable, archivable, searchable text.

softrabbit on #lmms

Re: discussion of default workflow : form-focus

musikbear
Tres Finocchiaro wrote
How about we strike a deall... You do the research to find the QT window
hint setting that makes this default for all MDI windows created and then
open a bug report on it, and then we file a proper bug report against it...
:)
you devil you.. you know i cant do that :p
except.. it ought to a boolean-attribute on the MDI-window object
Set-stay-up.. true/false
mmm... na,  -cant be that simple

..or could it .. .