Quantcast

tutorials and instruments

ty armour
need tutorials on coding lmms

also need the following instruments
Soviet: Polivock, aelilta, march uds, lell uds, rokton uds

Western instruments
Roland
MC-909,mc-202,tb-303, tr-606, roland juno-6 juno 106
Access Virus B
Moog Memorymoog.

and see if you can't incorporate Bristol into lmms and give that a makeover.
write tutorials on everything.
also see if you can get Alsa Modular synth working under lmms and do a bunch of tutorials for that.

the sequencer should be probably the same as it is unlimited polyphonic.

but i need a way to play a live instrument on top of the sequencer.

you could do a drum sequencer with a korg sq-10 as the trigger, with many many outs per step, and then the soviet drum machines and the 303 driven by that

you just have to have the clock of the sq-10 be in tempo with the 303 then itll rock. but yeah you can do that and sync the instruments however you want.

but make the drum machines look like they do in real life. thatll be best and the most fun. and have lots of drum machines and then do tutorials on just everything.

music like house, minimal, deep house, acid house and other early house types, vocal trance, trance and like above and beyond.

thanks

Re: tutorials and instruments

Tres Finocchiaro

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM, ty armour <[hidden email]> wrote:
need tutorials on coding lmms
Agreed, a getting started guide would be nice, but things are often best written by newcomers as they can pinpoint the not-so-obvious and put it into a getting started guide.

For now, our recommendation is to start a bug report for a certain item and the devs will chime in where you have questions.  That is the best tutorial we have for now.

also need the following instruments
Soviet: Polivock, aelilta, march uds, lell uds, rokton uds [...] Roland MC-909,mc-202,tb-303, tr-606, roland juno-6 juno 106 Access Virus B
Moog Memorymoog.
Like the VST synths?  You can try plugging some of them in now using the vestige instrument, or just drag the DLL from the file browser.

I'm not sure the point of this though, are you just listing off hardware you are familiar with?  We all want to see more synths, but making a laundry list doesn't necessarily help get them implemented.   For starters, finding an open source version of the synth written in C++ would be a good start.

and see if you can't incorporate Bristol into lmms and give that a makeover.
write tutorials on everything.
Assuming you mean the bristol sourceforge project, the ideal approach would be to use a standard plugin interface... but that would require the author port his interface to LV2 and then help us implement LV2 and I don't think he's interested in switching out the graphics toolkit per: http://sourceforge.net/p/bristol/feature-requests/15/

also see if you can get Alsa Modular synth working under lmms and do a bunch of tutorials for that.
Agreed, that would be nice to port over.  It appears to use LADSPA, which I don't believe we support yet for instruments.

but i need a way to play a live instrument on top of the sequencer.
MIDI or audio?

but make the drum machines look like they do in real life.

Thanks for chiming in. :)

Re: tutorials and instruments

Tres Finocchiaro
"Assuming you mean the bristol sourceforge project, the ideal approach would be to use a standard plugin interface... but that would require the author port his interface to LV2 and then help us implement LV2 and I don't think he's interested in switching out the graphics toolkit per: http://sourceforge.net/p/bristol/feature-requests/15/"
In case he is not interested. Can we port it on our own?

Absolutely.  We do this already. Zyn is our closest contender, and Dave's been spending a very long time just getting the upstream changes integrated for 1.2, so this can be a pretty big effort.

Other synths included SFXR, fluidsynth, opl2 (others?), so this is certainly possible.

Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 14:38:56 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [LMMS-devel] tutorials and instruments

[...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ One dashboard for servers and applications across Physical-Virtual-Cloud Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable Insights Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight. http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

CLang scan build

ycollette.nospam
Hello,

I build LMMS from git repo using clang scan build on fedora 21 64 bits
with clang-3.5.
The log of the scan build is available on
http://ycollette.free.fr/LMMS/scan-build-2015-05-14-134424-1529-1.tar.gz
This report can be opened using firefox on the file
scan-build-2015-05-14-134424-1529-1/index.html

The command line I used for the scan-build:
mkdir build_cland
cd build_clang
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/local/stow/lmms-devel-clang
-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/libexec/clang-analyzer/scan-build/ccc-analyzer
-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/libexec/clang-analyzer/scan-build/c++-analyzer ..

I used cmake-gui to activate WANT_VST_NOWINE.

Then, start the build using "scan-build make" in the build directory.

There are some good reports about null pointer dereference, unused
variables, uninitialized variables ...

Best regards,

YC

Re: CLang scan build

Tres Finocchiaro
Thanks Yann.

The vast majority of those (about 307 of them, or 90%) are introduced with some older 3rd party LADSPA plugins, namel:
  • 67% - SWH LADSPA Plugin
  • 12% - Tap LADSPA Plugin
  • 7% Calf LADSPA Plugin
  • 4% Zyn Instrument Plugin

  • 10% LMMS source

If someone is familiar with fixing these types of issues, please do help and we'll be happy to help get the fixes into the codebase.  Please note, ffor the 3rd party bugs, we try to file them upstream too via something like https://github.com/swh/ladspa/commits.

Also, if someone decides to take a crack at the SWH plugins per the author, the code is built from XML source, using Perl and XML::Parser, so it will look a bit different upstream.

-Tres

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Yann Collette <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

If you are interested, I can do this scan-build before every release ...
Just send an email on the mailing list.

Le 14/05/2015 15:08, Tres Finocchiaro a écrit :
[...]

Raine M. Ekman
Quoting Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Yann.
>
> The vast majority of those (about 307 of them, or 90%) are introduced with
> some older 3rd party LADSPA plugins, namel:
>
>    - 67% - SWH LADSPA Plugin
>    - 12% - Tap LADSPA Plugin
>    - 7% Calf LADSPA Plugin
>    - 4% Zyn Instrument Plugin
>
>    - 10% LMMS source

I'd advise caution in tackling this. Almost 80% of the report lists
dead assignments, increments and initializations, i.e. code that runs
but the results are thrown away. Those are rarely actual bugs, but if
you go in and start fixing to get CLang to shut up you might create
bugs. Keep in mind that preprocessor macros are not accounted for, see
e.g.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/blob/master/plugins/opl2/fmopl.c#L1311 where
CLang says "Value stored to 'ptr' is never read", but it will be read
if you turn BUILD_Y8950 on.

> If someone is familiar with fixing these types of issues, please do help
> and we'll be happy to help get the fixes into the codebase.  Please note,
> ffor the 3rd party bugs, we try to file them upstream too via something
> like https://github.com/swh/ladspa/commits.
>
> Also, if someone decides to take a crack at the SWH plugins per the
> author, the code is built from XML source, using Perl and XML::Parser, so
> it will look a bit different upstream.
>
> -Tres
>

> - [hidden email]
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM, Yann Collette <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I build LMMS from git repo using clang scan build on fedora 21 64 bits
>> with clang-3.5.
>> The log of the scan build is available on
>> http://ycollette.free.fr/LMMS/scan-build-2015-05-14-134424-1529-1.tar.gz
>> This report can be opened using firefox on the file
>> scan-build-2015-05-14-134424-1529-1/index.html
>>
>> The command line I used for the scan-build:
>> mkdir build_cland
>> cd build_clang
>> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
>> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/local/stow/lmms-devel-clang
>> -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/libexec/clang-analyzer/scan-build/ccc-analyzer
>> -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/libexec/clang-analyzer/scan-build/c++-analyzer ..
>>
>> I used cmake-gui to activate WANT_VST_NOWINE.
>>
>> Then, start the build using "scan-build make" in the build directory.
>>
>> There are some good reports about null pointer dereference, unused
>> variables, uninitialized variables ...
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> YC

softrabbit on #lmms