Quantcast

tuxfamily hosting

123

tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina
Should I go ahead and subscribe to them?

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tres Finocchiaro

I vote yes.

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina

I vote yes for this too. This is exactly what we need.

On 15 May 2014 16:16, "Tres Finocchiaro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I vote yes.

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Stian Jørgensrud
We could have discussions about that, I guess. At least migrating the forums. Tuxfamily is free hosting for everything? Are the limits too low? Will the service continue to exist?

Tres:
KVR may not be willing to import our archived forum records because it would most likely take massaging to restore it without restoring all of the user accounts as well.

What I find interesting though is that Jonathan has already registered at tuxfamily so I'm curious why we aren't having conversations about migrating to them where we could potentially resurrect the forums, copy the wiki and home page and start building a beta version of the new home page.

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tres Finocchiaro

@Stian,

I agree.  I was hoping to hear more from Jonathan on this.

My main concern is hosting the downloads.  I'd be interested to know if our ~30MB windows installers * 8,000 downloads per month would be too much bandwidth monthly.

Johnathan, please chime in here.  Are you in contact with someone we can talk to?

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tres Finocchiaro

Fantastic.  Does GitHub's policy allow hot linking?  This makes tuxfamily a much more viable option.  I'd like to get conversation rolling now about this. @LukasW If Johnathon doesn't chime in, can you take control of the tux hosting acct?

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tres Finocchiaro

On a side note, we have to stop doing work on islands.  Together we have a very competent and eager team of people to get on new site/ hosting but somehow despite the excellent communication and teamwork on the LMMS initiatives, the web conversations have fallen short and done little to encourage working together.

If we have an account with tuxfamily I would like Lucas W and at least one backup to have access ASAP.

Forums:  Feedback shows that people want the forums back, so let's march forward with phpBB since its FOSS and people seem to like it.

CMS:  I've seen two proposals for WordPress and a few others for the main site, but we can do static HTML until that decision is made.

Wiki:  probably best to stick with mediawiki for the short-term.  Just like the forum decision this could change and requires frequent patching but for now we can get those old topics back up so Google can crawl them again.

LSP:  keep existing is our only option until the new platform takes off.

In almost all cases we will have hard link breakage issues so someone with good DB skills can help cleanup that.

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina
Hi Tres,

I will see what i need to do to give a backup person access to the account. Currently we are talking about 100Mb for everything. I just read the FAQ and we can request more space.

Also they offer download repositories that can store up to 1G. We could take advantage of them for archival of older versions and or nightly builds.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Small, like 30mb, 300mb, 3gb?  That is a relative term.

Secondly, we have a wiki with screenshots, db content, a forum with mostly just db content, an  LSP (size?) with mostly small file attachments, and then a few static pages.

Of we know how much we need  and how much they have offered that would be much more useful.

I don't have access to the current sf page nor access to the mystery tuxfamily account so please help.  And stop sending me requests to talk on IRC.  Aside from sharing passwords, this should all be transparent conversation.

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tres Finocchiaro
On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will see what i need to do to give a backup person access to the account.
Or we change the email address registered to a shared/forwarded account.

Currently we are talking about 100Mb for everything. I just read the FAQ and we can request more space.
Not "everything", "groups".  This probably means email groups.

Here's the section from their page:
 Download area of 1 GB, can be increased if you need more space
100 MB quota for all groups, not including the download area, can be increased if you need more space

How soon can you help with this?

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina
Latest Update:

They quickly replied to me saying there are no space restrictions. They only check that the space is being wisely used.

I have also asked if its possible to add additional users to a particular project and am now awaiting a reply.

This is what I suggest.

Wiki & website: we move them and host them here, but note they website then be lmms.tuxfamily.org. The wiki will also be a subdomain of tuxfamily as well.

Download repos. I think as well we should setup some download repos preferably 2

1) Test builds
2) Release archive

What are your thoughts on these?

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:10 AM, Tres Finocchiaro <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I can't find anything in their policy stating that they don't. They explicitly say the feature is meant for hosting binary releases and they even provide a way to get the download count.
Btw, I mentioned this several times, it is also possible to host a website on GitHub. The main advantage is that our website's source would be a GitHub repository, which would make collaborating on it much easier. A blog-like static website generator called Jekyll is supported.

Apart from this, I don't really see a point in moving to tuxfamily. What does tuxfamily provide that SF does not? In what way is it worth the effort?

- Lukas

Fantastic.  Does GitHub's policy allow hot linking?  This makes tuxfamily a much more viable option.  I'd like to get conversation rolling now about this. @LukasW If Johnathon doesn't chime in, can you take control of the tux hosting acct?

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Tobias Doerffel-2
> Apart from this, I don't really see a point in moving to tuxfamily. What
> does tuxfamily provide that SF does not? In what way is it worth the effort?

Full ack. Nothing is wrong with Github. Besides the website stuff we
already host release files at Github so there's no need for an
external hoster for release files. About the website: if everything is
possible at Github, why not stick with it? I know we're moving in
circles with this discussion but I wonder why we're still hunting for
Tuxfamily & Co.

Toby

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina
I think there is only one reason to keep tux family. Do we plan on starting a version archive of previous releases? Reason being they would be good to have in an archive download repo somewhere to use for regression testing and comparisons etc.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Tobias Doerffel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Apart from this, I don't really see a point in moving to tuxfamily. What
> does tuxfamily provide that SF does not? In what way is it worth the effort?

Full ack. Nothing is wrong with Github. Besides the website stuff we
already host release files at Github so there's no need for an
external hoster for release files. About the website: if everything is
possible at Github, why not stick with it? I know we're moving in
circles with this discussion but I wonder why we're still hunting for
Tuxfamily & Co.

Toby

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: tuxfamily hosting

diiz
On 07/06/2014 01:28 PM, Lukas W. wrote:

Apart from this, I don't really see a point in moving to tuxfamily. What does tuxfamily provide that SF does not? In what way is it worth the effort?

Well, SF is a bit of a dead end. They have become unreliable, I have no confidence in keeping any of our stuff there, and the main point is, we should have a place to host our forum, wiki, website, lsp, files etc.

Forum can't be hosted on SF. Wiki can for now... but if we have to move the forum somewhere else, it would be better to consolidate all of our hosting needs there.

If we can host *everything* we need on GitHub, then I would be in favour of using GitHub, but if not, then we need a second site. But I don't think it's sensible to divide everything accross too many sites. Makes things too complicated.

So my vote is, SF has to go, and replace it with either GitHub only, or if GitHub can't handle all our needs, then GitHub + one other site that provides everything GitHub does. SF does not do that (we can't have our forum on SF anymore), so if TuxFamily provides that, then it'd be a sensible choice.

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Jonathan Aquilina
Vesa I agree with you there, my question though is wouldnt it be good to have something like a download archive as well as current stable releases at tuxfamily as well.

Lets say github is down for one reason or another we would have our fallback for downloads at tuxfamily. I could even try to find a way if its even possible to setup db replication as well as website replication to tux family that way if github is offline we have everything on tux family which would be a failover.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Vesa <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/06/2014 01:28 PM, Lukas W. wrote:

Apart from this, I don't really see a point in moving to tuxfamily. What does tuxfamily provide that SF does not? In what way is it worth the effort?

Well, SF is a bit of a dead end. They have become unreliable, I have no confidence in keeping any of our stuff there, and the main point is, we should have a place to host our forum, wiki, website, lsp, files etc.

Forum can't be hosted on SF. Wiki can for now... but if we have to move the forum somewhere else, it would be better to consolidate all of our hosting needs there.

If we can host *everything* we need on GitHub, then I would be in favour of using GitHub, but if not, then we need a second site. But I don't think it's sensible to divide everything accross too many sites. Makes things too complicated.

So my vote is, SF has to go, and replace it with either GitHub only, or if GitHub can't handle all our needs, then GitHub + one other site that provides everything GitHub does. SF does not do that (we can't have our forum on SF anymore), so if TuxFamily provides that, then it'd be a sensible choice.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: tuxfamily hosting

Lukas W.
> Forum can't be hosted on SF.