volunteers wanted! ;-)

Tobias Doerffel-2
Hi everybody,

I have two things I'd like to be done but I just do not have the time for it,
so I'm searching people who want to do it (its not that much work!).

The first thing is a song-sharing-platform for LMMS. It could be something
made up with PHP and a mysql-database where the XML-files are stored. So
every registered person is able to upload its songs and download songs from
the others. Maybe later one could add things like rating and so on... We have
PHP and a mysql-database within sourceforge-web-presentation, so there's
nothing missing ;-) What do you think about it?

The second thing is the wiki, already mentioned by Stephane. Does somebody
know where we can get a free wiki? And is there somebody who wants to
initiate the documentation-project? If it is once rolling, everything is
fine... ;-) I'd like to have described all things you can do with LMMS, first
the basic stuff like explaining each window withing LMMS and then more
specific knobs and what they do. Especially for this one could also use the
"What's this"-texts of the knobs.

Especially the wiki is something that can be done by guys who don't know about
programming at all. I got quite much mails from people saying they want to
help but cannot program. So here's YOUR chance!!

Hope somebody wants to participate in this...

toby

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Lucas-5
Hi,

Unless I'm mistaken, http://wikicities.com/ allows for free wikis. If I am mistaken,
I set one up and host it.

On the song-sharing platform, maybe sectionz.com is willing to integrate lmms files.
They seem to have done pretty well, but I don't know if they think lmms is to beta
at the moment. I can contact them, but I suppose I can set up a song-sharing
platform too.

Once the wiki is up I don't mind writing the initial documentation.

Lucas

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have two things I'd like to be done but I just do not have the time for it,
> so I'm searching people who want to do it (its not that much work!).
>
> The first thing is a song-sharing-platform for LMMS. It could be something
> made up with PHP and a mysql-database where the XML-files are stored. So
> every registered person is able to upload its songs and download songs from
> the others. Maybe later one could add things like rating and so on... We have
> PHP and a mysql-database within sourceforge-web-presentation, so there's
> nothing missing ;-) What do you think about it?
>
> The second thing is the wiki, already mentioned by Stephane. Does somebody
> know where we can get a free wiki? And is there somebody who wants to
> initiate the documentation-project? If it is once rolling, everything is
> fine... ;-) I'd like to have described all things you can do with LMMS, first
> the basic stuff like explaining each window withing LMMS and then more
> specific knobs and what they do. Especially for this one could also use the
> "What's this"-texts of the knobs.
>
> Especially the wiki is something that can be done by guys who don't know about
> programming at all. I got quite much mails from people saying they want to
> help but cannot program. So here's YOUR chance!!
>
> Hope somebody wants to participate in this...
>
> toby

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Stephane Thomas-3
Le mardi 13 septembre 2005 à 17:56 +0200, Tobias Doerffel a écrit :

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have two things I'd like to be done but I just do not have the time for it,
> so I'm searching people who want to do it (its not that much work!).
>
> The first thing is a song-sharing-platform for LMMS. It could be something
> made up with PHP and a mysql-database where the XML-files are stored. So
> every registered person is able to upload its songs and download songs from
> the others. Maybe later one could add things like rating and so on... We have
> PHP and a mysql-database within sourceforge-web-presentation, so there's
> nothing missing ;-) What do you think about it?
>
> The second thing is the wiki, already mentioned by Stephane. Does somebody
> know where we can get a free wiki? And is there somebody who wants to
> initiate the documentation-project? If it is once rolling, everything is
> fine... ;-) I'd like to have described all things you can do with LMMS, first
> the basic stuff like explaining each window withing LMMS and then more
> specific knobs and what they do. Especially for this one could also use the
> "What's this"-texts of the knobs.
>
> Especially the wiki is something that can be done by guys who don't know about
> programming at all. I got quite much mails from people saying they want to
> help but cannot program. So here's YOUR chance!!
>
> Hope somebody wants to participate in this...

Hello,

I really want to invest some of my free time to help you. About the two
things discribed ahead :

What about using the sourceforge-web-presentation to set a wiki which
have the feature to permit users to upload some files ? We can use it
for a song-sharing-platform as for a cooperative LMMS manual.

I think to MediaWiki which have the upload feature :

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_feature_list

But MediaWiki has a lot of other features and it seems quite complex to
setup. In the past i already set up phpwiki which is more simple and
i've no experience with MediaWiki. But i can try...

It's PHP/MySQL based so i think it can run at lmms.sf.net, maybe i'm
wrong, have you any information about somebody running this at sf.net ?

My opinion is that developping an "ad hoc" PHP/MySQL
song-sharing-platform would take the same work amount (maybe more) as
using a third-party solution like MediaWiki that's more powerfull.

Waiting for comments.

--
Stephane Thomas <[hidden email]>

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Natanael Arndt
Am Donnerstag, 15. September 2005 10:52 schrieb Stephane Thomas:

> Hello,
>
> I really want to invest some of my free time to help you. About the two
> things discribed ahead :
>
> What about using the sourceforge-web-presentation to set a wiki which
> have the feature to permit users to upload some files ? We can use it
> for a song-sharing-platform as for a cooperative LMMS manual.
>
> I think to MediaWiki which have the upload feature :
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_feature_list
its a good idea but I think (medi)wiki is not made for file-sharing.
for file-sharing we shold use a software like kde-look.org and gnome-look.org.
but I don't know the name of this software and were to get it.

> But MediaWiki has a lot of other features and it seems quite complex to
> setup. In the past i already set up phpwiki which is more simple and
> i've no experience with MediaWiki. But i can try...

it is very easy to setup. it uses a own step-by-step-installer.

> It's PHP/MySQL based so i think it can run at lmms.sf.net, maybe i'm
> wrong, have you any information about somebody running this at sf.net ?

if there is PHP and MySQL I think it is no problem.

> My opinion is that developping an "ad hoc" PHP/MySQL
> song-sharing-platform would take the same work amount (maybe more) as
> using a third-party solution like MediaWiki that's more powerfull.

get madiawiki at:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wikipedia/mediawiki-1.4.9.tar.gz?download

be blessed
Natanael / white Gecko

--
Web: http://www.natanael.de.vu
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Tobias Doerffel-2
Am Donnerstag, 15. September 2005 12:08 schrieb Natanael Arndt:
> its a good idea but I think (medi)wiki is not made for file-sharing.
> for file-sharing we shold use a software like kde-look.org and
> gnome-look.org. but I don't know the name of this software and were to get
> it.
since we should use different software for sharing-platform and wiki, we could
use a simple wiki.

> > It's PHP/MySQL based so i think it can run at lmms.sf.net, maybe i'm
> > wrong, have you any information about somebody running this at sf.net ?
>
> if there is PHP and MySQL I think it is no problem.
Yes, we have PHP as well as MySQL. Should be no problem ;-)

toby

--
Ein großer Schritt zur Tugend ist, daß man nicht alles an sich liebt,
seine Kleinigkeiten, Geschmack im Essen etc.

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Tobias Doerffel-2
Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 19:13 schrieb Lucas:
> Hi,
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, http://wikicities.com/ allows for free wikis. If I am
> mistaken, I set one up and host it.
What do you mean with host it? Setup a wiki on wikicities or host it on your
own server? I requested a wiki at wikicities.com but it may last up to one
week until it's available... So if you could host it yourself I would accept
your offer since it's very difficult to setup a wiki on sf.net (I already
tried it...) and it is very insecure... So if you could host a wiki on your
server I would be very thankful!

toby

--
Schüchternheit ist ein Fehler, den man nicht tadeln darf, wenn man ihn
heilen will.

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Lucas-6
> What do you mean with host it? Setup a wiki on wikicities or host it on your
> own server? I requested a wiki at wikicities.com but it may last up to one
> week until it's available... So if you could host it yourself I would accept
> your offer since it's very difficult to setup a wiki on sf.net (I already
> tried it...) and it is very insecure... So if you could host a wiki on your
> server I would be very thankful!

I installed TWiki (perl-based), but for some reason it doesn't work yet. I'll fix it
tomorrow, need some sleep right now :-)

Lucas

Re: volunteers wanted! ;-)

Tobias Doerffel-2
Am Freitag, 16. September 2005 04:16 schrieben Sie:
> I installed TWiki (perl-based), but for some reason it doesn't work yet.
> I'll fix it tomorrow, need some sleep right now :-)
you could also try mediawiki or phpwiki, which should work without any
problems...

toby

btw: you don't have to send a copy of mails to me, I also receive mails from
mailing-list ;-)

--
Alle wollen zurück zur Natur - nur nicht zu Fuß.