which simple features are least impressive

which simple features are least impressive

musikbear
Dont think we have had this discussion before. The purpose is to isolate those features, that really should be changed.
I have chosen to focus on simple-features
Eg, those that are part of simple-usage, not advanced features like 'sample-track-posistion-play', but simply those things, that any user will find annoying

The first one i think of, is
* removing all parts from song-editor from one bar-pos to another
Current implementation:
User need to manually remove each block, from each track,
Only 'control' is by visual looking at the song-editor.
Neither
'Clear-this-track'
or
Stack blocks and delete
Works
1 will remove to much
2 will often result in an unpredictable crash (perhaps os or hw dependent)

Do add more 'simple-features', and do discuss prioritizing or other thoughts, in this context.

Re: which simple features are least impressive

Amadeus Folego
It would also help a lot to provide a suggestion on how to improve it,
if possible.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 09:26:22AM -0700, musikbear wrote:
> * removing all parts from song-editor from one bar-pos to another
> Current implementation:
> User need to /manually/ remove /each/ block, from /each/ track,
> Only 'control' is by visual looking at the song-editor.
> Neither
> 'Clear-this-track'
> or
> Stack blocks and delete

Dave has developed Timeline selection for the piano roll, this should
help a lot with your problem, if I understood it correctly.

Should be availableon next release.

Re: which simple features are least impressive

Tres Finocchiaro
"Simple" is too qualitative because it suggests the implementation is simple.

To me good performance and undo are the most basic of features and we still have a lot of room to improve on them.

As far as the small nuances that we can tweak, we're actively working on those as the bug reports come in.

For example:  Drag + drop of soundfonts, VSTs, project files, automation controls.   Those are relatively simple and good goals.

What you are describing (deleting a range selection) should be tested on master (as Amadeus mentioned) and if it doesn't work to your needs, file a bug.

We have a lot of email topics which pick on a specific feature (which is fine) but to fix them properly, we really need to track them as bugs or enhancements, etc or else they are a needle in a haystack of email archives. :)

Re: which simple features are least impressive

musikbear
@Amadeus Folego, implementation should be discussed, but a cascade transversing of relevant datastructures with deletion. The *big* issue here are dependencies, where deletion of one object could lead to either memory-leaks form an other, or plainout crash..

but
@tresf
'simple' is in context of usage only. This discussion should not focus code complexity at all.
I hoped that all (or at least some..) here would take notis of the least functional features, when they used the software, and then add those to the discussion.
- Eg an 'in-house' usage-survey -aka use-case
(i did an hour of that with a family member, who never had seen a DAW before, and posted that case here about ½ year ago, that really led to nothing -Sad, really -Because use-cases are among the most valuable tool in software dev)

Re: which simple features are least impressive

Tres Finocchiaro
> 'simple' is in context of usage only. This discussion should not focus code complexity at all.

Well, we invite the conversation but this is exactly what our bug tracker is for.

MP3 sample support and MP3 export support would be a big win to our users, but that's a slippery slope which we can go into detail on the tracker. :)

-Tres